Newbie in KY

Old 03-31-2007, 12:39 PM

Hi, I'm new to the chat room and new to quilting. I have four quilts started. I did just finish the strips for a pioneer braid quilt and was wondering if someone could help me with the"quilt as you go" method. I want to "stitch the ditch" for the pioneer braid as it is in rows. Do I leave an overhang of my backing for when I whip stitich it together or is there natural overhang as one goes along the process? I love viewing others finished quilts and sharing of ideas, helps and hints. I need all the help I can get.

Have a great day,
Hilda
Old 03-31-2007, 01:44 PM

Welcome Hilda!
Unfortunately, I can't help you with the quilt-as-you-go question...I never did put mine together :oops:
But I wanted to say Hi & I'm sure someone will be able to answer it.

sue
Old 03-31-2007, 03:15 PM

Hi Hilda,
Welcome! I have a lot of extended family in KY. They love it.

Sorry not to be able to help with the 'quilt as you go" I've not done that. I normally do the whole top, then sandwich, and then quilt. But don't give up on an answer, someone will be along in no time to help.

Sharon
Old 03-31-2007, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hilda Studer
Hi, I'm new to the chat room and new to quilting. I have four quilts started. I did just finish the strips for a pioneer braid quilt and was wondering if someone could help me with the"quilt as you go" method. I want to "stitch the ditch" for the pioneer braid as it is in rows. Do I leave an overhang of my backing for when I whip stitich it together or is there natural overhang as one goes along the process? I love viewing others finished quilts and sharing of ideas, helps and hints. I need all the help I can get.

Have a great day,
Hilda
Hilda you do leave a over hang but I don't know how much to tell you. It is up to how much you want in the binding. That was what you are using it for arnt you?
Misty
Old 03-31-2007, 03:32 PM

Oh I wanted to ask you what part of Ky. Are you in? I too have family there in Ky.
Misty
Old 04-01-2007, 02:19 PM

I live in Northern Kentucky, the Florence/Burlington area. About 30 miles from the fabulous Quilt Box in Dry Ridge, Ky which seems to be known far and wide and justly deserves all the attention it gets. Thx for your info.

Happy quilting :)
Hilda
Old 04-04-2007, 06:14 AM

If you type in quilt as you go, you should be able to get a couple different ways of doing the quilt as you go. If you don't I have instructions printed out for me to do one day, hopefully soon. If you don't find any, let me know your address and I'll send you a copy. My email address is [email protected].

Good luck and show us a picture.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:51 AM

Thx for the info. I did a search on the internet and although I found numerous items on quilt as you go, none that I read over discussed whether or not you leave an overlap to whip stitch your backing together. Our local library has one book, which has been misplaced on the wrong shelf and is at the present time lost among thousands. Think I will get cut my pieces wider and allow for an overhang piece and give it a try.

Have a great weekend.
Hilda
Old 04-06-2007, 04:58 AM

I've googled quilt as you go and the best instructions I found were here.

http://www.quilterscache.com/H/howtoquiltoneatatime.html

Some other I looked at
1. Said cut to exact size
2. Said backing and batting should be 1.5 inches wider than the top.
3. Said 3 inches extra material.

Since this is your first project I would make your first block with the 3 inch overhang to see how it works out. If you have alot of material left after quilting you can go alittle smaller on the next block. I always leave room for mistakes. It's not like a haircut, if it's cut too short it won't grow back.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:28 AM
PJ

You can also look on www.secretsof.com/comfort/194 and it is a good website for quilting as you go. Welcome you will get lots of info and advice here. You will also get lots of encouragement to quilt and participate in what ever is going on.