Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
marking with bar soap >

marking with bar soap

marking with bar soap

Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 AM

well I finally tried it and wish I'd been doing it for years! it worked waaaay better than I thought it would, shows up on all but white. sometimes when you sew on the marking lines it doesn't wash out, I needed to sew on all the lines and certainly didn't want the lines to show forever so I tried it, it kept a good edge longer than I thought it would which is why I never tried it, so this morning I bathed with that little thin bar again so I could sharpen up the edges to finish my project.
just goes to show you, old dogs can learn new tricks if they have a reason!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
well I finally tried it and wish I'd been doing it for years! it worked waaaay better than I thought it would, shows up on all but white. sometimes when you sew on the marking lines it doesn't wash out, I needed to sew on all the lines and certainly didn't want the lines to show forever so I tried it, it kept a good edge longer than I thought it would which is why I never tried it, so this morning I bathed with that little thin bar again so I could sharpen up the edges to finish my project.
I didn't know you could use soap for marking ... will have to give it a go. Happy quilting :)
Old 01-03-2011, 08:44 AM

My aunt used to mark all her quilts with soap slivers. But she always used a plain white bar of Ivory soap.
I don't know if the colored type of soaps with softeners and deodorant additives would wash out as easily, but you could test it.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Are hand or machine quilting??
Old 01-03-2011, 08:59 AM

After trying every other kind of marker I used soap on a quilt with black borders that I recently did. I was amazed at the results and will keep it on my list for future projects.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 AM

So glad that you shared this! I never heard of using soap before...
Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 AM

If it doesn't wash out, doesn't that then create another problem?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by loopywren
If it doesn't wash out, doesn't that then create another problem?
Seems like a repeat washing would do the trick.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 AM

I have used soap slivers for years. On some designs I do use the washable marker and have never had any problems with either. :thumbup:
Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 AM

I use soap to mark, have for years. When I need to sharpen the edge a little I just slide it between the blades of my thread nippers a few times. I also use soap to keep my needles slick and sharp for hand quilting.