Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
discouraged >

discouraged

discouraged

Old 01-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Iwant to quilt. I started a quilt and put it aside as i read a book on making squares and i was off track. Now i have started just a block. i cannot afford the classes in my area and do not have any friends that do crafts. What is with all of this ironing seams this way and that? i read the board every day.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 AM

Welcome to the board, ironing is very important, you want to iron seams that are to be joined in opposite directions so they will nest together with out having a large bump where they join.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 AM

I think making sure your seams are facing a cerain direction helps to reduce the bulk as your quilt is assembled.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 AM

First of all, try going on line to get some classes or demonstrations for quilting. You could also check with churches in your area for any quilt groups that help quilting newbies. There may also be quilt groups through senior groups. Second, the ironing of the seams helps with the ease of putting the block and quilt top together. You iron opposite so the seams are opposing when you put the block together to avoid a bump. Your piecing looks much better if the bump/bulk of the seams are even. Make sense??? I see that your location is in hiding, if you were in my area, I would be very happy to help you get started. So is you are in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, pm me. I'll get you started.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:57 AM

Look in the classifieds for a recent offering of Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! It was one of my early instructional books and I still use it. Might be free, will be a bargain, for sure. You press the seam allowances to one side, usually toward the darker fabric, but also so that when seam allowances meet, they go in opposite directions and nest snuggly. Almost forgot...WELCOME! And don't get too discouraged. The learning curve us shorter than ever, look for YouTube tutorials and videos. Lots if freebies on this site. I post giveaways fairly often. Declutters my studio, puts my unused items to use, rectifies wasted purchases, and hopefully "pays it forward" for all the blessings I've received from other quilters.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:58 AM

Go to Quilters Cache:
http://www.quilterscache.com/H/howtolinks.html

and click on Pressing Info From Marsha.

There's lots of neat info links to help answer some of your questions, some even before you think to ask!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:58 AM

It sounds to me like you are on your way to making a great quilt. Welcome from Washington.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 AM

Welcome to the board. There are lots of free stuff online showing you how to get started. Check out you tube and e-how for various videos. This board is also full of wonderful people who are happy to share their experience with you. Don't let your discouragement get you down, we've all been there. Just keep practicing and working at it if you enjoy it.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 AM

There are so many video tutorials on line that are free. Many of them on youtube. Connecting threads.com also have great free video tutorials on their website. Go to google, put in how to join a quilting square seam and you will get several options. Good luck, it's important to listen to people with experience. WHen I started quilting, I thought some of the advice was un important, but I learned the hard way . Also, your library will have quilting books you can borrow
Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Don't be discouraged! Think of this as a project that's going to take a month or two and just relax and enjoy the steps along the way.

If you get a book that has just one quilt in it and follow it from start to finish, you aren't going to get taken in different directions with conflicting ideas.

Eleanor Burns is really good for writing books like this. Her Orion's Star book has a single block type - a star in a log cabin block, but it has a lot of different layouts and color suggestions. You'll learn how to make flying geese, stars and log cabins, then you'll learn how to put them all together, add borders, baste and quilt your quilt, put on a binding, etc.

Don't think of it as ironing - ironing is hot, sweaty, back-aching drudgery! :mrgreen: Think of pressing as a sewing step, because pressing the seam allowances will help you sew more accurately, giving you a more attractive block and one that is easier to incorporate into a quilt top.

Have fun with it! :)