Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4 inch seam >

1/4 inch seam

1/4 inch seam

Old 01-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Just wondering what presser foot most people use to get their 1/4 inch seam. I have been using my 1/4 quilting food that came with my machine. Even so I still seem to have trouble getting the piecing to fit right a lot of the time. I have a walking/even feed foot but have only used it when I put my binding on for the bulky layer to feed evenly and not bunch up or FMQ. I feel like I should probably be using it for piecing. Sometimes just piecing gets bulky depending on where the intersections are. Just wondered what most people use most of the time. I just started in spring of '10 so I am still figuring a lot of this out. thanks,kim
Old 01-20-2011, 02:42 PM

i try to be more consistent w/ where ever my mark is so that i can maintain all pieces being the same. When i'm piecing, i'm pretty successful doing that.

When putting on binding, because it tends to be bulkier, i use one of those magnetic seam guides. That works great!!
Old 01-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

It depends which machine I use. I don't use a walking foot, but my Pfaff has IDT so I use the 1/4" foot with the guide. On my Brother and Mega I can't use that kind of foot so I use a regular 1/4" foot.(They don't make one yet as far as I know.)
Old 01-20-2011, 03:07 PM

Never heard of a magnetic seam guide. Where could I find one of those?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by paristx
I think they still have the at JoAnns and Hancocks.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:15 PM

Are these OK to use with our computerized machines? I have one but don't dare use it.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

There's always a discussion about magnets and computerized machines, but the fact is that these days the electronics are protected and magnets are okay. I wouldn't vouch for the earliest computerized machines though.

I use the 1/4 inch foot, #57, with my Bernina 440QE. It didn't come with the machine, but was worth the extra money. I also move the needle position to the right one click; that seems to give me the "scant" 1/4 inch.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Are these OK to use with our computerized machines? I have one but don't dare use it.
They do not recommend use with computerized machines....
However, get some post-it notes and use that as a seam guide.
They are easily removed and do not leave a tacky film that is difficult to clean off... Happy crafting :D!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:02 PM

If you are sewing 1/4 inch accurately Maybe you are not cutting accurate? That is just as important. Are you a pinner and do you sew over them? I only pin borders or when joining rows that don't have close intersections I use my fingers and go slow to line up matching points plus press in between not back and forth ironing. Hope this helps
Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 PM

Funny, I just had this problem with my 'new to me" Featherweight. I had bought a 1/4 foot with flange that was supposed to fit. NO way. The foot wiggled!

So, a friend and I came up with something that actually works. I have a seam guide that screws down on the machine bed but material can get under it. Sooo, We put some of that orange plastic guide strip, cut to size, under the seam guide and it works! Now I have to put down painter's tape to mark the bed as to where to put the guide when I need it.

On my Pfaff I just use the 1/4 guide foot with a flange and move the needle over for a scant 1/4" when called for in a pattern. I did enlarge the hole in the foot with a little round file from Home Depot. It works well even with the single hole throat plate.

ali