Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM

I want to rid myself of the bad vibes from making quilts for people who've turned out to be jerks so I want to quilt for charity. Its actually something I've wanted to do, but never got around to and I think now is the perfect time to do a couple of them.

I have a lot of different ideas on what to make, but as soon as I think of an idea I come up with another. So I'm wondering what kinds of quilts others on here have done for charity to maybe get some ideas and hopefully make my brain slow down a little.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:19 PM

I've done about 7 Downey Quilts for kids. Another good pattern that is quick and easy and looks great is Warm Wishes. A rail fence pattern or a nine patch. I've donated a few to our guild and the various charities that they go to. Pretty much anything you want to make would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

I like to make appliqued baby quilts, I have also made pieced quilts up to couch sized and Quilts for Downy too.

If you go to Downy's website they will send you a kit and maybe that would get you jump started? :D:D:D
Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 PM

I stay away from the organizations because they regulate me from the spirit that gives me release. I put my heart and soul in things and they aren't big and fancy, but they are kind hopefully helpful. I do lap quilts for elders and veterans at the VA Hosp. I have four that I am doing to turn in at Church because we choose a family in distress and help them find jobs and a home again. Usually there are about four in a family. Just a bit off the beaten path, but something I want to do. I've helped Jan in Va with a few items and I've done two quilts to raffle off, one for cancer and one for a project. Lawww, just look around you. The world needs a hug! I love hugs and quilts are wonderful hugs, dontcha think?

Blessings, Ruth
Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 PM
bj

You might want to look into the Downey Quilts for Kids. They will send you a kit. You just make it and send it back to them. They request (but don't require) that you make a quilt from your own fabric also. I've done 4 (2 kits, 2 from my fabric) now and have 3 more kits I just got last week. I asked for 2 kits, and they sent me 3.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:54 PM

I make quilts for Project Linus, which distributes them to children who are ill or have suffered a trauma. Our local chapter is not at all particular (we leave that to the quilt guilds and their quilt police). We get everything from quilts to knitted or crocheted afghans to no-sew fleece blankets.

I quilt, and I don't stress over points perfect or lines matching. I mean, I do my best, but I consider it an opportunity to learn and grow as a quilter. The sizes are smaller, too, which is less overwhelming (and expensive) for me to sew.

Hope that helps!

Laurie
Old 01-25-2011, 01:05 PM

I honestly think the quilts you make will work for teens/young adults those seem to be areas where the quilts are the fewest.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 PM

Project Linus usually is most in need of quilts for boys-several chapter directors have said most want to make "girly" quilts... I have done, i think, hundreds now for many causes. Strip quilts, log cabin, 4 and 9 and 16 patches with sashing, Lucy's Lockets, Tumbler, Triangles, one-patch squares or rectangles, brickwalk, crazy poly knit quilts on the serger,and many more I cannot remember at the moment!
Making two for Quilts for Kids at the moment.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:41 PM

I make lap quilts for our local VA hospital. I feel that's the least I can do for the guys and gals that served our country...whether they were injured in the line of duty or not.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:58 PM

I have also sent many quilts to Margaret's Hope Chest. They have two programs.

The first is called Wrapped in Hope: http://wrappedinhope.blogspot.com/
They provide a quilt that you make to a child on his or her birthday. All of the children in the program have one or more parents in prison. The quilt is a gift from the parent in prison.

They also collect quilts and distribute them year round in several ways. Again, in prisons, but also within the community to those in need.

http://margaretshopechest.blogspot.com/

They accept quilts all year and are not really particular about pattern or style.
This is a great organization as are all of the others mentioned here.

Find the one that speaks to you. :)