Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JC Penney sold fabric? >

JC Penney sold fabric?

JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-04-2011, 05:36 PM

I remember going to JC Penneys with my mother to buy fabric for school clothes in the early 70's
Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 PM

Oh yes. As a child I remember going to JCP with my mom and the fabric department was downstairs in the back corner of the basement (lousy light for color matching), then we went to
A&P to do the grocery shopping and stopped at the Standard Station to put gas in the car on the way home.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 PM

All the department stores sold fabric. Wards, jc pennys, Sears. One by one they all stopped when the big fabric stores came in. I even remember fred Meyer had fabric when we moved to Portland in the 80's. When i was in high school (in the late 60's and early 70's) I bought all my fabric from Sears. I just lived across the street. Things have changed Huh!!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 PM

Yes, JCP did sell fabrics - I think they continued through the 60's. I remember shopping there with my grandmother and also when I was out of high school. All the mid-range dept stores where I lived sold fabrics - Sears, JCP, Belks.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:49 PM

Yes, they sold almost everything a long time ago. I'm 73 and still miss being able to go to JC's like we go to Walmart now, exception is groceries.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:51 PM

I don't know when they stopped but pretty sure they were selling fabric in 1968 my mother in law used to shop there for fabrics.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 PM

I can remember going with my mother to Penneys for material. From what I can remember, it was a fairly large dept. I know that it was in the very back of the store. (Whew...that's going back a ways for me to remember!!!) LOL
Old 02-04-2011, 06:01 PM

I am 63 and this all is so familar. I definitely can relate.

Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
Originally Posted by montanajan
Yes, Penney's used to sell lots of nice fabric. When I was a child, my mother bought ALL the fabric she used from Penney's. My aunt worked in the fabric department at the Great Falls, Montana Penney's. It was on the mezzanine next to bedding, kitchen & bath towels. The only other place I remember seeing fabric for sale as a kid was at the local Ben Franklin, & the quality was not durable enough for the clothing Mom made us. I wore mostly home-made dresses, & didn't have a coat from a store until I was 10. Mom would even make prom dresses with Penney's fabric from home-made tissue paper patterns after I'd show her what I wanted in a store. She could sew anything, & no one could tell our clothes weren't "ready made". When she taught me to sew, the fabric always came from Penney's. I continued to buy Penney's fabric for clothing when I was in college in the late 60's. I was sorry to see Penney's stop their fabric lines, sometime in the late 70's, I believe. BTW, I'm 64, so that may give you younger readers/quilters an idea of how long ago I was buying sewing material at a Penney's fabric department. LOL
Sounds like my childhood..I too am 64 and Penney's was still selling fabric in 1978 here but quit soon after. KMart also sold pretty decent fabric.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:07 PM

I live in Sioux Falls, SD and remember that the Penney's store carried fabric, fashion, decorator and flannel along with cottons. I believe they stopped stocking when the store moved from downtown to the new shopping mall (which is now like 37 years old). Lots of department stores carried fabrics - Sears, Montgomery Wards, KMarts, it wasn't unusual in the 60's & 70's.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:09 PM

I can remember seeing fabric in the JC Penney catalog and I think I remember it being sold in the Penny's store.