Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JC Penney sold fabric? >

JC Penney sold fabric?

JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:10 PM

I don't know about JC Penney, but Sears was still selling fabric in the early seventies.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by kateyb
Originally Posted by phatquilts2
Many of the department stores had a fabric section because home sewing was very popular back in that day. Do not remember when those fabric departments were banished.

Does anybody remember the measuring apparatus that was around six inches off of the table? The fabric was pulled through a slit and a round dial gauge with hands like a clock {?]or scale showed the yardage. Then the fabric clerk would push a lever which made a rip in the cloth. The fabric was then torn right in front of you and not cut with a scissors. In the rare instance that the print was all off grain you knew it right away. Anyway that was then and this is now, guess I am dating myself and a popsicle was a nickel. :lol: :roll:
I remember the measuring apparatus. It was fun to watch.
A two scoop ice cream cone was a dime.
I remember that apparatus, too. I also remember the day when my mom gave me a nickel and sent me into the dairy to purchase my own popsicle, and I was absolutely appalled that the price had gone up to seven cents!!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:23 PM

When I was in high school, in the 70's, I bought fabric at JCP. Can't remember the price. My brother gave me a wooden JCP cutting table that he used for a desk in his gun room :lol:
Old 04-15-2011, 05:24 PM

I had forgotten about the "fabric meter"? :)
Old 04-15-2011, 05:26 PM

Our Penney's store stopped selling fabrics in the mid 70's. I know this because at that time I was managing a store called Fabrific Fabrics (chain similiar to Joann's) and I hired two of their employees that had been laid off due to the dept. closing.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dandish
I picked up some fabric at the thrift store today - a green gingham - that still had a JC Penney tag on it. It was apparently a remnant, 1-1/4 yards, with a price of 79 cents. I never knew Penney's had sold fabric - does anybody know when they stopped? I'd like to know if this is a true cotton gingham, too. I'd post a pic, but it's already in the washer. Perhaps later.
I remember Mom buying fabric at Penneys for my school clothes in the early 60's. I had forgotten about that.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:47 PM

I bought the fabric for my first 4-H project in the basement of Penneys in 1970 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho. Ouch, the time warp is hurting me now!! I also remember buying fabric up until the early 80's in Montgomery Wards. And I bought my fish for my aquarium at Woolworths, down on Sherman Ave. in Cd'A. I have to go away now and (as Aussie friends can understand), take a Nana Nap.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:01 AM

Almost all of the department stores sold fabric including Bambergers (now Macys). I had forgotten about that measuring gizmo, it sure was cool. Pennys was directly across the mall from Woolworths, so I'd compare the two for price and selection. Bambergers (also in the same mall) sold mostly wools and high end fabrics.
Those were the good old days of sewing! Now I only have a crummy JoAnns and the intenet.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:58 AM

I'm not as 'experienced' as some on the board, but I remember my mom getting her brand new kenmore sewing machine at the sears fabric store in the early 70's. She made a lot of our clothes, and taught me to sew on that machine when I was about 8. She also bought fabric at a 5 and 10 called Neisners that was in downtown Rochester. She even ordered the fabric for our school uniforms an made those too. My younger sister can't even hem her own pants ( I can't balance a checkbook- she can, but I would rather know how to sew).
Old 06-24-2011, 01:28 PM

.79 for 1 1/4 yard (even a remnant price) should give you a clue LOL. This was years and years and years..... ago. Remember Penney and Sears used to be the "General Store", selling everythng for the farmer and his wife, and fabric was a large part of their stock. They discontinued fabric and farm implements when the "city slickers" invaded.