Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a quilt pattern, style or a quilting type that you have no desire to ever make? >

Is there a quilt pattern, style or a quilting type that you have no desire to ever make?

Is there a quilt pattern, style or a quilting type that you have no desire to ever make?

Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 AM

I really don't like "traditional" quilts. Had an interesting conversation with my BF last week about modern vs traditional, he really didn't get the difference, I had to pull out my grandma-made quilts & show him with mine right there beside them.

I'll never make a hexagon quilt (one pathetic attempt ended up with a cute hexie pincushion though). I have done basic square patchwork, rag quilts, bargellos, postage stamps, puff quilts, the twister was pushing it. But most often I go for more modern or funky quilts, if it's what I'd consider "traditional" I totally make it my own with crazy fabric choices or hand dyes & messing with the original until it's unrecognizable. I do enjoy paper piecing now that I've figured it out but my in progress one is crazy/funky! I've also made several drunkards path quilts but my layout is modern.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Anything with teeny tiny pieces like OMG or postage stamp or Grand Mother's flower garden. Love to look at them and marvel over the work but never in a zillion years!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Mine would be a double wedding ring... just the thought of sewing the half circles scares me. Reminds me of shoulder seams (which I always hated) when I was in home ec class.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Scrappy. I like some of the ones I've seen, but have no desire to do one. I don't know why I'm hanging on to my scraps, I should just junk them.
Well, if this is your tendency, at least post on the forum here and ask anyone if they'd like them. You'd have people jumping at the chance.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:54 AM

I tend to love everything but I would say the one thing I will likely never do are some of the uber modern art quilts that to me barely translate to quilting at all. I like some contemporary quilts, but once you start throwing old shoelaces and thread scraps on a quilt I sort of lose interest. Lol*
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 AM

Only upon request of someone I love would I do Sunbonnet Sue, schoolhouse, or Civil War. I like feathered star but not sure I have the patience. The challenge might appeal though. I have done a complicated paper piece design.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
At this point I have no desire to make a One Block Wonder. What I have seen are beautiful and everyone has done a great job with them. They just don't appeal to me.
same here
Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 AM

I guess the only quilt pattern I would never do is a cathederal window. I think they are beautiful, but I just don't think I could ever do enough blocks to even make a wall hanging.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 AM

Postage stamp, grandmothers flower garden, yo yo and anything with tiny pieces.

I also hate civil war stuff and OBW are really not my taste either.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 AM

I've got no desire to EVER make a Sub Bonnet Sue.