Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Celtic block ..How I went about doing it. >

Celtic block ..How I went about doing it.

Celtic block ..How I went about doing it.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:55 PM

Several have asked me questions of making the Celtic block and I am posting a short How to here. If I have left something out or others have suggestions please feel free to add...

This is what I did:

The background block was cut at 15" square.

The bias was cut from a fat quarter.. folded on the bias... I cut 1 1/4" strips and then ironed them into thirds.. making the bias strips 3/8".
*What I did because I didn't have the medal or plastic bars for making bias... I cut a strip from the fat quarter cardboard at 3/8" *
Then using my mini iron I placed the strip in the middle of the bias cut strip on wrong side and folded one side over and then the other and pressed as I went along. That seemed easiest for me. I could sit using a small ironing board (or you can make something that will allow you to press on) set up on a TV tray.

Once I pressed one strip.. I wrapped it onto a empty paper towel tube or you could use toilet paper tube as well. Stuck a pin at the end to keep it on. Continued on using the biggest to the smallest ... you will not need all the bias cuttings, I just did them because I was not sure.

After you have gotten all your bias pieces pressed and rolled onto a tube, you trace out the pattern onto your 15" block. You can use a light box or tape the pattern to your window and put your material up and trace it that way.

Then the fun part starts! Placing the bias onto the design! I found small applique needles worked well.

*I was told to have the bias raw edge (looking from the
backside)at the top , not the folded edge.*

I started in the center where a crossover would be, leaving a 1/4" that would be under the crossover piece once there.

You will want to place your bias strip along the pattern to see how far it will go, as you want to stop only where there is a crossover that will hide the ends where you stop. Again leaving 1/4" extra for the crossover to cover.

What I found worked for me was ... once I got to a crossover (pinning across the strip as I went along) I would then baste that part using a thread you can see. take out the pins and continue on the next bias strip... continuing this way until all of the design is placed with bias.

Next, and I was told this was important as well, to start appliqueing in the inside of the design all the way around.... then after... sew the outside edge all the way around.

I used YLI silk thread #100 and it was great! Try to find a color that is near to your bias as possible or a little darker.. you will be amazed at how it blends should you not catch it just right.

I hope this is clear and a help.

Sharon
Attached Thumbnails attachment-121061.jpe   attachment-121062.jpe  
Old 02-12-2011, 06:01 PM

This block is so beautiful....Saw a celtic pattern on here a few days ago that I think I'm going to try.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:05 PM
DJ

Beautiful!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the tute. I would really like to try that.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:45 PM

What a gorgeous block. Thanks for the tute. This is something I want to do at some point in the future.

For those who want to make bias for a project like this and don't have the bias tape maker, you can mark the width you want the bias strips on your ironing board, then insert a straight pin into and out of one side, the into and out of the other side and fold your bias strip into thirds and slip it under the pin. Then as you pull the strip out from under the pin you can iron it and will have bias strips just like you would if you used a bias tape maker - and lots cheaper.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

Oooh Sharon-saw your posting earlier and thought what a great March doll quilt and Irish to boot. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

Gorgeous work. Thanks a million for the instructions.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

Fascinating technique! I'd like to try it some day. There is one thing in your tute I cannot figure out:

*I was told to have the bias raw edge (looking from the
backside)at the top , not the folded edge.*

Can you explain in more detail? Or, better yet, with a photo?
Old 02-12-2011, 09:07 PM

That is so KOOL!! can't wait to try it. Thanks a bunch for tute.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:47 PM

Gorgeous! I tried it once, it isn't as easy (or at least wasn't for me!) as it looks. I might try it again, though with your information/instructions.

thanks!!