Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Muslin Question >

Muslin Question

Muslin Question

Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 PM

I've seen a lot of people on this board that use muslin. Now is the term not very familiar to me, but I found this definition in another thread on the board:

"Muslin is usually a lightweight natural or white (bleached) cotton fabric."

So does that mean that all natural and white cotton fabric can be called muslin? Or is there still a difference?

(And for those who speak Dutch, is there a Dutch term for muslin?)
Old 02-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

You really asked a great question. I know there's a huge range of quality when it comes to muslin. I also know that muslin doesn't have to be white or natural. It can be colored and printed and even embroidered. One of the distinguishing characteristics is that it's a smooth weave. It's almost is all smooth woven cotton fabric muslin? Hopefully others will chime in.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:57 PM
mim

try looking at quilting web sites like keepsake quilting or clothilde -- they have descriptions and pictures. Many countries have a different meaning for muslin so I would imagine that the quilters term is the "american" one

Mim

Originally Posted by J.M.
I've seen a lot of people on this board that use muslin. Now is the term not very familiar to me, but I found this definition in another thread on the board:

"Muslin is usually a lightweight natural or white (bleached) cotton fabric."

So does that mean that all natural and white cotton fabric can be called muslin? Or is there still a difference?

(And for those who speak Dutch, is there a Dutch term for muslin?)
Old 02-14-2011, 03:05 PM

Let me add my 2-cents by saying that even though there are numerous, beautiful quilt backing fabrics out there....nothing has the feel that muslin has. I just love it, I love the softness, I love the way it ages and gets softer and softer. I love the way it breaths with you. It seems like magic to me because in the winter when you want to be warm it holds the warmth in and in the summer it breathes and lets the cool in. I like a medium weight muslin best of all.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:26 PM

I will be watching this post....I bought 5 yards of muslim for my King quilt I will be making. I was told that its the perfect backing. I am a bit nervous since it was 2.99 a yard and then I had a coupon so 1.50 a yard. It seems soooo cheap...I am wondering how good the quality is, Its from Kona which I was told is a good brand.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:46 PM

Mousseline, Neteldoek
Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Kona is a good brand. Just be aware that they also make a lower quality muslin as well as a higher end one. I usually use the Kona Premium; Robert Kaufman Fabrics; 200 thread count in the 100% cotton at 108" wide. I actually buy it two to three bolts at a time.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Mousseline, Neteldoek
Thanks, I could find more about it now :)
Old 02-14-2011, 04:05 PM

You are very welcome!
:mrgreen:
Old 02-14-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I will be watching this post....I bought 5 yards of muslim for my King quilt I will be making. I was told that its the perfect backing. I am a bit nervous since it was 2.99 a yard and then I had a coupon so 1.50 a yard. It seems soooo cheap...I am wondering how good the quality is, Its from Kona which I was told is a good brand.
Muslin is really quite durable. I think you'll be pleased. Price doesn't always go hand in hand with quality---sometimes less truly is more.