Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 113

Thread: Dear Jane I9, K9, M8, & TR5 Paper Piecing Patterns

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    the long awaited Cyber Block Party has begun.

    These pics are for the people who are using the book.

    as you know, the book doesn't help you to divide the block into sections that can be used to paper piece.

    you can zoom in on these photos by clicking on the download button and then clicking on the photo to zoom in.

    if you still don't know how to paper piece - here's the link to amma tute

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-25541-1.htm

    and here's a tute that i put together that shows how to put together a multi unit paper piecing block.

    Muilti Unit Paper Piecing Block

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    I9 notes

    1) mirror print the blockfor people using the software.

    2) for people using the book you'll have to trace the pattern in reverse. you can tape it to a window with the back facing you and then just trace.

    otherwise, this is a fairly straight forward block to put together - its just a lot of pieces.

    i used variation #1 from the software because the outer edges are slightly wider and i feel a little less bulky.


    this block is up on "that quilt" blog and you can see step by step over there.

    I9
    Name:  Attachment-61797.jpe
Views: 1775
Size:  40.9 KB

    I9
    Name:  Attachment-61798.jpe
Views: 1560
Size:  51.2 KB

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    K9 Notes

    1) sew the pieces to form the 9 patch center to each other first

    2) then sew on the corner units that have the final strip and corner stones to finish the center motif

    3) then sew on the single corner units and you're done


    this is another fairly straight forward block - it is not up on "that quilt" but its simple except for the small size.

    K9
    Name:  Attachment-61799.jpe
Views: 1618
Size:  35.7 KB

    K9
    Name:  Attachment-61800.jpe
Views: 1519
Size:  42.6 KB

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    M8 Notes

    this might be the hardest block of the week because its many section that need to come together to form the entire block.

    1) sew the finished block units from the center out. so as you'll see in the photo the units are labeled A, B, C, etc

    B is the dead center of the block and you would sew A & C to the B unit.

    then sew on C & D.

    then sew on the short border units and finally the long border units.

    this block is up on That Quilt with step by step

    this one is a few photos.

    M8
    Name:  Attachment-61802.jpe
Views: 1431
Size:  37.0 KB

    M8
    Name:  Attachment-61803.jpe
Views: 1391
Size:  28.3 KB

    M8
    Name:  Attachment-61804.jpe
Views: 1517
Size:  39.5 KB

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    more M8 pics

    M8
    Name:  Attachment-61805.jpe
Views: 1521
Size:  35.5 KB

    M8
    Name:  Attachment-61806.jpe
Views: 1404
Size:  27.8 KB

    M8
    Name:  Attachment-61807.jpe
Views: 1403
Size:  46.7 KB

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    TR5 notes

    5x8 = don't forget to print the triangles at 5x8 inches instead of 4.5

    yes, we're starting right away with triangles. its much easier to do 1 a week then save them all for the end :lol:


    1) for people using the software, sew the long strip outer edge "D" on first then sew on long strip outer edge "E".

    2) for people with the book, sew on the shorter edge strip first then the longer one.

    this triangle is on That Quilt for step by step.

    TR5
    Name:  Attachment-61808.jpe
Views: 1545
Size:  73.7 KB

    TR5
    Name:  Attachment-61809.jpe
Views: 1396
Size:  52.7 KB

  7. #7
    Super Member Shemjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    The time has arrived! I am sew excited!

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    i just noticed in M8 i have a typo.

    D & E not C & D

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Notes on how to print the patterns in the software.

    1)install the software on your computer

    2)open the software and click on the "wizard" hat its on the upper left side

    3) select "Classic Jane Quilt" and click on "finish"

    4) click on "view" along the top of the screen

    5) click on "sketchbook"

    6) click on the "blocks" tab if the blocks aren't already displaying.

    7) scroll thru the blocks and find "I9" and click on "edit"

    8) click on "file" at the top of the screen

    9) click on "print"

    10) click on "foundation pattern"

    11) click on "options" towards the top of the print screen that just opened up.

    12) click on "mirror" towards to right side of the print screen.

    13) click on "preview" center bottom of the print screen.

    14) a window will open up with all the pattern pieces. you can move them if you don't like the location they are in

    15) to move a pattern piece. click on "move" then click on the pattern piece. the seam line will turn red and now you can move it where ever you like

    16) once you're happy with pattern placement click on the "print" button.


    the only block this week that needs to be mirrored is I9. so make sure to check mirror when printing and the other make sure its not checked.

  10. #10
    Super Member Janstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cashmere, Wa.
    Posts
    3,950
    Thanks for the instructions Kelly!

  11. #11
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    Things I've learned so far.... print the block in my own colours, don't rely on memory!! ;-)

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    Things I've learned so far.... print the block in my own colours, don't rely on memory!! ;-)
    excellent tip.

    another, you might want to mark the sections of the pattern with the color that should go there.

    i use R = red W = white B = blue

    even though the pattern prints with gray sections it gets lost on the transparent paper that i and many of you are using.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Brazen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    338
    Dumb question about I9.... I have the pattern printed out in mirror, do you have to print the template pieces out in mirror too? Or are they still ok they way they are?

    Thank you!

  14. #14
    Super Member retrogirl02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    1,773
    Is anyone else getting the print setting automatically going to a default 6 inch square? I have to check the settings and change each time I print. Thanks Klue for getting me moving on this project!! I'm so excited I want to jump right in.

  15. #15
    bearpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,635
    Is I9 the only mirror image for this weeks block?
    Thanks.

  16. #16
    bearpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by bearpaw
    Is I9 the only mirror image for this weeks block?
    Thanks.
    Sorry - should have read the posts better, I see the answer. Duh.

    :oops:

  17. #17
    bearpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by retrogirl02
    Is anyone else getting the print setting automatically going to a default 6 inch square? I have to check the settings and change each time I print. Thanks Klue for getting me moving on this project!! I'm so excited I want to jump right in.
    Mine is going to 4.5. Maybe after you change it once, it will go to the 4.5?

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazen
    Dumb question about I9.... I have the pattern printed out in mirror, do you have to print the template pieces out in mirror too? Or are they still ok they way they are?

    Thank you!
    i guess it depends.

    if you're going to be traditionally piecing this block (not paper piecing) then just print out the templates and get to sewing.

    if you're going to be cutting out fabric shapes to use in paper piecing (the amma way in the tute she made) then i would do 1 test piece first before cutting everything out.

    you wouldn't need to mirror the templates to get it to work in the amma method of PP you would just have to determine - do i put the template on the right side of the fabric or the wrong side of the fabric.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by retrogirl02
    Is anyone else getting the print setting automatically going to a default 6 inch square? I have to check the settings and change each time I print. Thanks Klue for getting me moving on this project!! I'm so excited I want to jump right in.
    no, i haven't had that problem. did you load a quilt from the layout library that is a default 6 inch block?

    this might fix it for you.

    1) open the software to your quilt

    2) click on the "layout" tab along the bottom left

    3) on the right side of the screen you'll see a pop up window - look at the "block size" section and make sure it says 4.5 inches.

    4) if it doesn't correct it and save the new quilt size in the sketchbook.

    5) you can now delete the old quilt and use the new one with the 4.5 blocks.


    let me know if that works

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by bearpaw
    Is I9 the only mirror image for this weeks block?
    Thanks.
    yes, I9 is the only one this week.

    but everyone keep your heads up because almost every week will have a mirror block for the paper piecers.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    CO., USA
    Posts
    601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    Notes on how to print the patterns in the software.

    1)install the software on your computer

    2)open the software and click on the "wizard" hat its on the upper left side

    3) select "Classic Jane Quilt" and click on "finish"

    4) click on "view" along the top of the screen

    5) click on "sketchbook"

    6) click on the "blocks" tab if the blocks aren't already displaying.

    7) scroll thru the blocks and find "I9" and click on "edit"

    8) click on "file" at the top of the screen

    9) click on "print"

    10) click on "foundation pattern"

    11) click on "options" towards the top of the print screen that just opened up.

    12) click on "mirror" towards to right side of the print screen.

    13) click on "preview" center bottom of the print screen.

    14) a window will open up with all the pattern pieces. you can move them if you don't like the location they are in

    15) to move a pattern piece. click on "move" then click on the pattern piece. the seam line will turn red and now you can move it where ever you like

    16) once you're happy with pattern placement click on the "print" button.


    the only block this week that needs to be mirrored is I9. so make sure to check mirror when printing and the other make sure its not checked.
    Thank you Lugo

    One question. Can I email a pattern? (to myself because my printer is at the office)

  22. #22
    Super Member pittsburgpam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,492
    Wow... this crept up on me! I need to get my fabric washed tonight so I can work on it this weekend. I'm so excited to do this once in a lifetime quilt.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettia
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    Notes on how to print the patterns in the software.

    1)install the software on your computer

    2)open the software and click on the "wizard" hat its on the upper left side

    3) select "Classic Jane Quilt" and click on "finish"

    4) click on "view" along the top of the screen

    5) click on "sketchbook"

    6) click on the "blocks" tab if the blocks aren't already displaying.

    7) scroll thru the blocks and find "I9" and click on "edit"

    8) click on "file" at the top of the screen

    9) click on "print"

    10) click on "foundation pattern"

    11) click on "options" towards the top of the print screen that just opened up.

    12) click on "mirror" towards to right side of the print screen.

    13) click on "preview" center bottom of the print screen.

    14) a window will open up with all the pattern pieces. you can move them if you don't like the location they are in

    15) to move a pattern piece. click on "move" then click on the pattern piece. the seam line will turn red and now you can move it where ever you like

    16) once you're happy with pattern placement click on the "print" button.


    the only block this week that needs to be mirrored is I9. so make sure to check mirror when printing and the other make sure its not checked.
    Thank you Lugo

    One question. Can I email a pattern? (to myself because my printer is at the office)
    yes, but you have to install this free software first. its the printer interface that will appear as a printer option in the Dear Jane Software once you install it.

    it will read something like doPDF as a print option when you click on the down arrow next to properties.

    a PDF file will open on your computer instead of printing the pattern. just save the file with the name and email it.

    here's the link to the free software download

    http://download.cnet.com/doPDF-Free-...html?tag=mncol

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    Wow... this crept up on me! I need to get my fabric washed tonight so I can work on it this weekend. I'm so excited to do this once in a lifetime quilt.
    december just flew by - i really thought i had more time too.

  25. #25
    Super Member pittsburgpam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,492
    I just finished one block tonight. If I do 4 of these a week I'm not going to be able to do much else at all. :? How long is this going to take again? :lol:

    Well... I guess I can work on getting the dozen quilt tops from 2009 sent off to be quilted. It will take time to get them ready and then do the bindings. This can be a finishing year and I want to do a few more elaborate quilts.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.