Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How I did the patriotic quilt

How I did the patriotic quilt

I took the picture I had taken, printed it out drew off the blocks and figured out how many and what color combo I needed. Don't know that this block has a name, drunkards path made a jagged look edge this one only has a 1/4" edge so sews into a nice semicircle. I made myself a freezer paper pattern a bit oversized and trimmed my block down to 6-1/2". My quilt finished at 62x67 but is 60x65 after washing, the perfect lap size. It really was easy to do once I got my block figured out, just cut out the random stars and appliqued on after the top was finished. Someone told me there was a pattern but I have not seen it, I just saw the quilt and knew I could probably do it without a pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, you certainly did a great job on the one you posted! Good job figuring out how to do it, too! And thanks for letting us all know!

Power Poster
    ​Hmmm, curved piecing is not my favourite but I bet you could appliqué circles to a background square, cut into quarters and trim?

Power Poster
    very neat!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thank You, I love your quilt. Going to try it.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Tartan, that would probably work!!!!

Power Poster
    Thanks for sharing.

Nice block

Thanks for the info...may try it one day.
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​Hmmm, curved piecing is not my favourite but I bet you could appliqué circles to a background square, cut into quarters and trim?
    I have done something like that before and your idea would give us a great option. Already have a nested set of circle templates, sew circles to lightweight fusible, trim, turn, then put on the proper sized squares. That would be great to work with larger pieces and then cut to size.
    Thanks for inspiring us.

Power Poster
    Thanks for sharing...

Blog Entries
    great quilt...thanks so much for posting the how to

I'm not fond of curved seams. I can do them, I just don't like to do them. So, I'd probably applique the curves. But your tut is a good one. Thanks.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

Blog Entries
    Where is a picture of the patriotic quilt?

Power Poster
    Very clever to come up with the pattern all by yourself. Super.

Sewing with Nancy had a program not long ago, put fusible on back of material and sew, cut out circle, and put on material back. She made different blocks and no hard ti sew curved seams, made them easy. You can find it on www.nancyzieman.com You could use this method. Great quilt, really pretty.

thanks....

This curved piecing is easier than you think...and much quicker than appliqued circles. I had never sewn this block and needed many for a quilt. There's a bit of technique I learned from a you tube tutorial (which piece goes on top and holding with opposite hand has it is sewn around). I really liked the process after I did a couple. But if applique is a preference that certainly works too.

Quote Originally Posted by quilts4charity View Post
    I took the picture I had taken, printed it out drew off the blocks and figured out how many and what color combo I needed. Don't know that this block has a name, drunkards path made a jagged look edge this one only has a 1/4" edge so sews into a nice semicircle. I made myself a freezer paper pattern a bit oversized and trimmed my block down to 6-1/2". My quilt finished at 62x67 but is 60x65 after washing, the perfect lap size. It really was easy to do once I got my block figured out, just cut out the random stars and appliqued on after the top was finished. Someone told me there was a pattern but I have not seen it, I just saw the quilt and knew I could probably do it without a pattern.
    Where is the photo of the quilt? I assume you posted it previously.

Power Poster
    Thanks for sharing...Good job.!!

Quote Originally Posted by quilts4charity View Post
    The pattern is called "The Wave Salute" and was published in the June/July 2009 #101 issue of QUILT magazine. You did a great job of making your own pattern. The template pattern in the Quilt magazine is not full size so you would still have to resize it. Thanks for sharing your lovely quilt.

GeeGee

Tarton, that would make the "waves" a bit herky, jerky. Her method makes the waves more gradual. Think??

Maybe make the circle larger than the usual drunkards patch? Just thinking!
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!