Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Basic Instructions for Boxes of Strings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/basic-instructions-boxes-strings-t295413.html)

AngeliaNR 03-11-2018 08:50 AM

Basic Instructions for Boxes of Strings

4 Attachment(s)
Basic Instructions for Boxes of Strings

Foundation paper is 4 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Center triangle is 4 1/2" at the base

Cut a template for your center triangle (I used cardboard).

Trace the template and cut your fabric triangle.

Center it on the foundation paper (I like to use a swipe of glue stick to keep it in place).

Add a light string to the right side of the upward-facing triangle and a medium/dark string to the left side. I placed a light string on first in each block for consistency. Note: I like my triangle points to float a little, so I don't lose them--my triangle point allows for this.

Continue until the paper is filled. All the blocks will have the same color orientation.

Trim block.

Assemble in columns; this makes it easier to match up your triangles into diamonds. Note that the columns are offset--one begins with an upward-facing triangle, and the next with a downward facing one, etc.

My quilt is 9 blocks wide and 20 blocks long. It finishes at 74" x 84".

My strings were from 3/4" to 1 1/2" (approximately) wide. If you wanted to do this with wider strips, you might want to increase the size of the foundation and the template. Just keep the same ratios: the foundation should be twice as wide as it is tall (finished size) and the triangle base should be 1/2 the total width of the foundation paper (finished).

Tartan 03-11-2018 08:59 AM

Goody goody gumdrops! I have been waiting for you to post your tutorial! I will be wrangling some more scraps into blocks! Thankyou! Can you tell by the exclamation points that I am super excited?:)

sunrise450 03-11-2018 09:40 AM

You are not alone Tartan! I have to make this. Or at least put it on the back burner till I can get it done. Thank you AngeliaNR . This is great!

jclinganrey 03-11-2018 10:07 AM

Thank you! Thank you! I am so impressed with your quilt. It's definitely on my to-do list.

Kwiltr 03-11-2018 11:00 AM

Thank you for your great tutorial! Your quilt turned out awesome and appreciate your generosity!

QuiltnNan 03-11-2018 01:00 PM

thanks so much for the tut!!!

AngeliaNR 03-11-2018 02:14 PM

You are welcome-- I am so flattered by the interest. Easy, isn't it? :)

copycat 03-12-2018 02:41 AM

Thanks for the Boxes of Strings info. Put this one on my bucket list for sure.:)

helou 03-12-2018 02:59 AM

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this tutorial... it is such a different and original quilt!

QuiltMom2 03-12-2018 03:20 AM

You've got smart brains!! Very neat and thanks for sharing. Every year, I try to have a different string quilt for spring church bazaar and this will work!