Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   BEGINNER BLOCKS #1: THE 9-PATCH AND VARIANTS - A SHELLYQ TUTORIAL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/beginner-blocks-1-9-patch-variants-shellyq-tutorial-t6460.html)

Aaleigha 04-24-2008 02:50 PM

Shelly thank you
there is an amazing amount of information there for me to digest

and enough 'work' to keep me busy for some time

now you say you wash your fabric

what are thought to be the pros and cons of washing versus non washing of fabric prior to working

I can only think of two things and that is if unwashed shrinkage at different rates might occur and that bleeding of dyes might occur

(and of course I have not asked this to cause an international incident - honest)

but I really am starting right at the beginning

also how much of each fabric do we need to 'put by' for next month

again my thanks

edit to add

a pdf file would be a brilliant idea then I could have the lessons to work over again if I need to without having to log on
:)

Izy 04-24-2008 03:01 PM

Well done shellyq - that is VERY useful!!
:D

ShellyQ 04-24-2008 03:27 PM

Aaleigha, ok we'll try not to cause an international incident :lol: . My reasons for washing my fabrics are the two biggies you've already mentioned, I have had fabric bleed in a quilt and trust me you only let this happen to yourself once :cry: , also as I understand it fabric can contain other chemical residue used in the manufactoring process, and another thing prewashing does is to help show up any flaws that there might be in the fabric.

Others like their fabric not washed as leaving the dressing in the fabric makes it easier to work with i.e. holds it's shape better

Re Amount of Fabric for Next Month
You only need a small amount, a fat quarter of light and a fat eighth of the dark will be more than enough. You will have leftovers, but having a bit too much is better than not having enough :P

beachlady 04-24-2008 04:09 PM

Great Shelly! Thanks! Looking forward to the triangles - never done those.

DJ 04-24-2008 04:54 PM

Shelly ~ You did a marvelous job. Extremely well presented! Lots of great information! Thanks!

nannyhunt 04-24-2008 07:23 PM

A pdf would certainly be wonderful......My memory is a little shorter than I am..... Thanks, You have been a big help to me.

amma 04-24-2008 08:50 PM

Wonderfully Done :D :D :D Thank you so much :D :D :D Many things I did not know or think about. Your are AWESOME :D :D :D You explained everything very well, I look forward to the next lesson :D :D :D

DazzleMe! 04-25-2008 01:05 PM

Shelly:

Wow!! Thank you so much.............!!!! All this information is great.

I cant wait to get home and try it. I have wanted to do a nine patch for a long time. Now this will make me get busy on it.

For those of us who would like to have pdf instructions, how about cut and paste. I know sometimes that is a pain, but it would work.

Thank you again, This is wonderful!!!!!!!!! :D

lin 04-25-2008 02:12 PM

Shelley, that was really! a good tutorial. Thankyouthankyouthankyou so much. It's obvious you went to a lot of trouble and it's much appreciated. :)

Janstar 04-25-2008 07:42 PM

Thank you for a great lesson. You make some very good and useful points. Your efforts are appreciated so much. You showed us some great ways to use this block. Keep them coming! Jan