Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Cut out for hanging sleeve (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/cut-out-hanging-sleeve-t288302.html)

ube quilting 05-16-2017 12:44 PM

Cut out for hanging sleeve

10 Attachment(s)
This is a quick picture to tutorial to show how I make my hanging sleeves for small quilts that are up to 2.5' wide It eliminates having to have two hooks for a dowel to rest on.

1. I use a 7' deep by the width you need including enough for hemming the sides
[ATTACH=CONFIG]573208[/ATTACH]
2. fold press and hem the two side edges
[ATTACH=CONFIG]573209[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]573210[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]573211[/ATTACH]
5.place the circle and draw a mark around it with pencil or fabric safe pen or disappearing ink pen.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]573212[/ATTACH]
6. use any scrap of fusable interfacing pressed to the wrong side or use a paper towel between the layers for stability during the sewing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]573214[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]573215[/ATTACH]
8. I use a wide zig zag satin stitch with a short stitch length.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]573216[/ATTACH]
9. use sharp scissor and trim close to the stitching without cutting it. At this point the sleeve is ready to sew onto the quilt before attaching the binding or.......
[ATTACH=CONFIG]573217[/ATTACH]

There must be a problem with counting. I am being told 10 pictures can be in a post and I am only being allowed 9 so I will finish up in another thread and that will be okay. I only have one more to go. Oh I see the problem another picture snuck in that I thought I deleted. Maybe the Adm will fix this for me.

See you in the next picture

ube quilting 05-16-2017 12:55 PM

cut out for hanhing sleeve part 2

1 Attachment(s)
If you have a small quilt you can lighten the weight a little by cutting the back off the sleeve before you add it to the quilt. Sometimes bigger quilts work better with the double layered sleeve but small quilts just don't need the weight.

10. Cut the back off around the circle and leaving enough to turn under a bottom hem
[ATTACH=CONFIG]573218[/ATTACH]

Hope this is useful for small quilt makers.
peace

Barb in Louisiana 05-17-2017 04:35 AM

I know this is going to sound dumb, but how and where is this attached to the quilted piece? FYI....I've never done a sleeve before.

Armylady2012 05-17-2017 07:13 AM

Barb in Louisiana not dumb I am new to making Wall Hangings and was wondering how it was suspose to be hung on the wall. The sleeve would be sewn on the back of the WHing I am guessing after it has been quilted and you are getting ready to sew on the binding. Help me out ube if I am wrong in what I am saying don't want to give bad info.

tessagin 05-17-2017 07:23 AM

Can you show a finished photo. I was going to try to explain and not working

ube quilting 05-17-2017 09:48 AM

Okay, I'll show you that part too. This part was just the teaser for the finish. Haha:D

Fabric Galore 05-20-2017 01:35 PM

Thanks for the pictures. I am a very visual person.