Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Designing quilt patterns using Excel and Paint (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/designing-quilt-patterns-using-excel-paint-t105549.html)

alleyoop1 03-07-2011 05:29 AM

Thanks for sharing these directions with the Quilt Board. I already plan my quilts in Excel...so I know where you are coming from. It's a whole lot cheaper than buying quilt software - although it's probably not quite as flexible and easy to do. I have problems with triangles in Excel - need to work on them a bit more.

gmasandee 03-07-2011 05:35 AM

Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou!!

quiltingranny 03-07-2011 05:36 AM

Thanks for sharing all this information with us. I'm going to have to give it a try. I am very computer challenged!

Jagsd3 03-07-2011 06:34 AM

Thanks for sharing this will definetly be checking into this deeper.

ggreenridley 03-07-2011 06:55 AM

Thanks. Your instructions are clear.

MaggieLou 03-07-2011 07:01 AM

Thanks for the tute. I am pretty familar with Excel 2003 but haven't tried to do quilt blocks with it. I haven't used Paint much so this will help.

NanaCsews2 03-07-2011 07:34 AM

Thanks for the tute! You did a great job laying all the instructions out.
I use Excel 2007 to design blocks and whole quilt layouts. I have not needed to use Paint as I use fabric from my stash and put the actual picture of the fabric on to the design page. I put a memory card in my computer slot, scan the fabric I already have, and a window opens up for me to save the fabric. I save it in a blank Word document, use the snipping tool in my start menu under accessories, and save that snippet to a picture file. (Options all come up automatically, I just do what is asked when the windows pop up.) I also use the shapes option in Excel, insert that into the page, then press insert, shape fill, picture, and it brings up picture file where I can insert the fabric. It goes directly into the shape I put on the page. I then save it. That shape can be moved around the page anywhere you want. You can copy it and paste it to create many shapes on the page. You can also click on edit shape (listed in box with the actual shape drawings) and click on convert to freeform. This allows you to re-create that shape in different forms. Play around with editing and it is amazing what you can do.

Parrothead 03-07-2011 09:48 AM

For those that are having trouble with triangles in Excel try designing in PowerPoint if you have it. I use both programs for designing. I also like Excel for the layout on a scrappy quilt. You can see if you have too many of one color close together or too many stripes, plaid, etc. It really helps if you do not have a design wall. (I live in an RV so no design wall here.)

LucyInTheSky 03-07-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
boy that's a lot of work. i do well to get the new version of Excel or Word to work. very interesting though.

It depends what you're doing. And once you know what you're doing, it's fairly quick. To each his/her own :D

thrums 03-07-2011 11:21 AM

Thank you so kindly for this tutorial. I realize it took you a very long time not only to design the process but to put it into a tutorial. I appreciate your time and willingness to share.

I have tried to download the Wizard of Oz link but it is not working. Could you repost it please.

Thank you. :D