Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Dirt Roads Quilt Diagram (simple kid's quilt) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/dirt-roads-quilt-diagram-simple-kids-quilt-t145568.html)

stichinluvr 08-17-2011 04:36 PM

What a great idea.

Jackie R 08-17-2011 04:57 PM

Thank you so much - I've been thinking recently that it would be nice to have a quilt I can lay on the floor, etc. for my grandsons to play with their cars and trucks. This would be very good for that and like you said, adding some appropriate printed fabric in some of the squares would be nice and it would make it like a little town or city.

Thanks again.

All Thumbs 08-17-2011 05:26 PM

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful comfort quilt for children. And more importantly, thanks for the instructions and measurements!

A couple years ago, Project Linus did something similar in that they sewed a pocket into quilt and inserted those stuffed tiny animals (with the little red tag attached). Guess they got factory to donate hundreds of them for us. I forget what those characters were called but I liked them too! lol Gave us all a smile as we were quilting away.

gypsylady5 08-17-2011 05:45 PM

Great idea. Sounds like an easy way to use up some scraps and make a really cute quilt for a youngster.

Akes 08-17-2011 05:51 PM

Thank you for the ideas. Sometimes we get brain dead and need some inspiration. I bookmarked it for myself for the future. Thank you again.

Sandra in Minnesota 08-17-2011 06:55 PM

Those are some great ideas!

Butterflyblue 08-17-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie R
Thank you so much - I've been thinking recently that it would be nice to have a quilt I can lay on the floor, etc. for my grandsons to play with their cars and trucks. This would be very good for that and like you said, adding some appropriate printed fabric in some of the squares would be nice and it would make it like a little town or city.

Thanks again.

Yes, I live out in the country, so of course I thought of fields and dirt roads, but change the sashing to black and put more houses (or fabrics with pictures of houses and "town stuff") and it would make a town.

If you're making it for a specific child, the house block could be personalized in the colors of the child's house (in the diagram it is gray with a red roof because my house is).

Butterflyblue 08-17-2011 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
Very sweet - thanks so much for sharing!

Makes me think of something similar for my granddaughters: a 4-place setting "tablecloth" quilt for a tea party with plates and teacups appliqued in place ... and using the silvery teflon fabric (like for ironing board covers) for appliqueing spoons and forks next to the plates ... and maybe cupcakes already on a center plate.

Cute idea! I've also thought of doing a dollhouse quilt with the quilt divided into different "rooms", and furniture appliqued in each room. A little cloth doll could go in a pocket on the bed (I saw a quilt in an old Quiltmaker magazine where each square was a little bed that a doll could be tucked into.)

wolfkitty 08-17-2011 09:16 PM

What about a block or two of water for a pond or small lake, and maybe add a small boat? This is such a great idea for a quilt!

justlooking 08-18-2011 02:11 AM

I like that idea, perfect for a GS.