Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Easy, no waste Granny Square block tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/easy-no-waste-granny-square-block-tutorial-t288482.html)

Walter'sMom 05-28-2017 05:26 AM

Very clever - might just try your method, thx

annette1952 05-28-2017 07:28 AM

Great way of doing them. Thank you for sharing!

Bobbielinks 05-28-2017 07:57 AM

This is a great idea!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Faintly Artistic 05-28-2017 05:19 PM

Easy, no waste Granny Square block tutorial Part 3

4 Attachment(s)
Okay, so I've sewn all the main 9P's and the secondary 9P's, it's time to put the setting triangles on and sew the rows. I started in the top left corner. I sewed a background color (white), the green to complete that block, and another white together. Then center a white on top of the green, it should be about 1/4" over on both sides...[ATTACH=CONFIG]573776[/ATTACH]

For the side setting triangles, sew as shown (a picture is worth 1,000 words!)... you are completing the 1st block in rows 1 and 2, then 2 and 3, 3 and 4 and so on... I did each setting triangle as I was ready to sew the whole row so that I didn't get confused. You will also need to make one for the each row on the right side as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]573775[/ATTACH]

Then I sewed the corner setting triangle and the first diagonal row together...[ATTACH=CONFIG]573777[/ATTACH]

Keep adding diagonal rows...[ATTACH=CONFIG]573778[/ATTACH] and you will see the pattern emerging.

There will be a small amount of waste when you have all your rows sewn together as you will square up the entire quilt. But, it will be much less than squaring up each block as the traditional way calls for. When squaring up, use your ruler and line each colored point up on the 1/4" line, you want to trim so that you have 1/4" for the seam allowance. You will only be trimming off the outer white squares. You may add a border at this point or simply baste, quilt and bind it with no border. I haven't decided if I will add a border or not, I'll see what I think when it is all put together.

I would like to finish the top this weekend and get it ready to quilt. I'll probably be big stitch quilting this, but am going to try something different than my usual straight lines.

Enjoy, and if something isn't clear, feel free to comment...I will check frequently and update if needed.

cannyquilter 05-29-2017 12:13 AM

Thank you, you've certainly eliminated a lot of waste and hopefully saved time too.

jmoore 05-29-2017 02:51 AM

I am going to try to print both of your tutorials and use this for a summer project. Thank you for taking the time to spell it out. I love how your granny square quilt is coming along.

caspharm 05-29-2017 11:11 AM

This does look good.

GeeGee 05-29-2017 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 7832773)
I think I would make the initial 9-patch and pin the four extra squares onto that and continue with all those 9-patches until there were enough. Then they could be laid out so you liked the order of the colors, pick up a square from each nine patch around, keep them in the correct order, and make the 9-patch with the background squares.

I think I could get excited about doing a Granny Square quilt this way.

That is the way I do the single Irish chain. Works for me.

ArtsyOne 05-30-2017 03:55 AM

Thank you so much for this detailed tutorial. I especially appreciate how you explained your thought process and posted pictures of that too.

helou 05-31-2017 02:14 AM

Thank you very much for taking the time and for all the pictures.