Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Easy Prairie Points (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/easy-prairie-points-t262474.html)

Elaine433 03-12-2015 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bevkay (Post 7125072)
Such a dellightful quilt! Have a niece due in June and now I know what I'm going to use, but will change colors to be a little more feminine. Do realize that the bright colors are great for little ones. Will see what I can find in pinks, greens, yellows. What size did you make this?? Love the prairie points. They really caught my eye.

The original size of the "At The Zoo" Panel by Henry Glass is 24 x 44. To me that is a very odd size. When you get it there is a turquoise blue polka dot border all around. For a girl, you might want to leave that and work from there. For a boy, I really wanted to do more of the bright primary colors. I cut off the turquoise and cut off the sections with the pandas and the monkeys. I then re-attached the pandas and the monkeys eliminating some of the white border that was in between them and the main panel. After putting them back on, I added the 2 red border strips. I then added white, prairie points and another white border. Using the same idea and panel for a girl, I would add a bright pink, bright yellow, turqoise and a pretty mint green in prairie points. None of the points are made with solids. You could use things with girly prints. Look in your stash and if you need any fabric for prairie points you would only need a FQ. Hope this helps.

mjhaess 03-12-2015 01:31 PM

Thanks for sharing..

hoprigmom 03-12-2015 01:49 PM

Thanks for taking time to make this tutorial! I have asked a quilter friend about prairie points and she told me so fast that I didn't understand the process for making them. Also thanks for sharing how you used the panel and what changes you made. I have a panel that is similar in size and I couldn't figure out what to do with it. Quilters on this board are terrific people!

maggie_1936 03-12-2015 05:24 PM

thanks for the info, really cute quilt

twinkie 03-13-2015 02:41 AM

That is lovely. Thanks for the tute.

Elaine433 03-13-2015 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by hoprigmom (Post 7125253)
Thanks for taking time to make this tutorial! I have asked a quilter friend about prairie points and she told me so fast that I didn't understand the process for making them. Also thanks for sharing how you used the panel and what changes you made. I have a panel that is similar in size and I couldn't figure out what to do with it. Quilters on this board are terrific people!

I forgot to mention the size of my finished quilt. It came out to be 36 x 48. I thought that was a perfect size for a
crib quilt. I sat for a week staring at that panel trying to figure out how to fix it.

Jingle 03-13-2015 03:47 AM

I have made two quilts when the prairie points were not on the edge of the quilt. Like yours only I made them larger, a pic of the quilt is on this quilt board. My quilts were much larger, so the points needed to be larger.
Thanks for the tutorial. It will be very helpful.

oklahomamom2 03-13-2015 06:05 AM

Very pretty, I love the bright colors and the animals.

#1 AAA quilter 03-13-2015 08:51 AM

Your quilt is adorable. Thanks for the tut.

toverly 03-14-2015 04:47 AM

Thanks for posting! Your prairie points make the quilt so festive.