Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   English Paper Pieced Hexagons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/english-paper-pieced-hexagons-t58912.html)

sewmuchmore 08-12-2010 06:23 PM

thanks, I bookmarked it adding to my to do list. :? I better get busy.

davis2se 08-13-2010 02:27 AM

So you leave the paper in them?? Doesn't that make for a very "crinkly" sounding quilt? And then what happens when you wash the quilt? English PP quilting has me VERY confused.

kwhite 08-13-2010 02:43 AM

You will evetually remove the paper. Give her time i am sure she will get there. Good Tute so far.

Crlyn 08-13-2010 02:49 AM

When the hexagons are all joined up you remove the paper.

jpmaroni 08-13-2010 02:50 AM

We had a guest speaker who showed us a Hexagon quilt in process that she took everywhere to work on. Wow! Five of us in our mini group are now creating one, all so different.
Always been popular, but I think it will become extremel popular again!

Carol J. 08-13-2010 04:39 AM

I made a Grandmother's Garden Quilt using this method. I used index cards for the templates and kept a stack of them plus the fabric pieces in a candy box, took it with me whenever we went on a trip. Basted them, then whipstitched them together while sitting in the back seat like the queen. Hubby and sons do the driving. I learned this method watching some 4-H girls at the county fair and I think of them often teaching the teacher. I used the templates over and over.
This was also my mother's favorite quilt pattern but she didn't use the paperpiecing method, just folded and stitched them together, paper method works much easier.
Carol J.

lindagor 08-13-2010 04:48 AM

Thanks for the great tutorial, now for the question. What do you use to cut your paper hexagons and how do you keep the layers from shifting while you do it?

HisPatchwork 08-13-2010 05:34 AM

My template is 1 7/8" on each side. I use the pesky little cards that fall out of magazines when you read them. I use to just throw them away. They are just the right thickness and have sometimes have pretty pictures on them.

Grandma Cindy 08-13-2010 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
My template is 1 7/8" on each side. I use the pesky little cards that fall out of magazines when you read them. I use to just throw them away. They are just the right thickness and have sometimes have pretty pictures on them.

I do not understand how to remove the paper, if you have sewn though the paper while shaping the hexagon?

Grandma Cindy 08-13-2010 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by lindagor
Thanks for the great tutorial, now for the question. What do you use to cut your paper hexagons and how do you keep the layers from shifting while you do it?

Last night I stapled around the edge of the sheets of paper and it seemed to help somewhat. One staple on each side. I wanted a larger shape and was able to get 1.45 with the same count as the 1 inch. When going to 1.5 it cut the count down considerably. Today I will try and figure out what size of a square I need.

Are there any math wizard out there.
If an one inch sided hexagon needs a 2.5 square ,,, then what size square would work for my 1.45 inch sided haexagon?