Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Fabric covered needlework box (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/fabric-covered-needlework-box-t28902.html)

sandpat 12-02-2009 02:48 PM

Me???....Moi????? Did I say I had started one???? I do soo want to do one. I don't have any mat board here...hmmm....wonder if shoe box cardboard will work?

Lacelady 12-02-2009 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Me???....Moi????? Did I say I had started one???? I do soo want to do one. I don't have any mat board here...hmmm....wonder if shoe box cardboard will work?

If that's all I had, and I really wanted to make a box, then I would make the shoe box work. For the top, I would stick two same size hex's together for strength, I think the brim would probably be OK in single thickness, and all other parts have two pieces of fabric covered card stuck together, back to back. Ball in your court Patti.

Butterflyspain 12-02-2009 03:28 PM

I used a piece of cardboard that came with a parcel. I spied also the ideal thing, I think, the large boxes used for Soap Powders. I am sure they would work great.

Lacelady 12-02-2009 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain

I used a piece of cardboard that came with a parcel. I spied also the ideal thing, I think, the large boxes used for Soap Powders. I am sure they would work great.

I don't see why not, Elle, the large soap box card is quite sturdy, though it might perfume your needlework box for a little while, so pick one you like the smell of.

Butterflyspain 12-03-2009 12:01 AM

I used a piece of cardboard that came with a parcel. I spied also the ideal thing, I think, the large boxes used for Soap Powders. I am sure they would work great.[/quote]

I don't see why not, Elle, the large soap box card is quite sturdy, though it might perfume your needlework box for a little while, so pick one you like the smell of.[/quote]

Ooops didnīt think of that will go and have a smell lol

marcia a 12-03-2009 05:00 AM

You are a Saint! This is much better than what I have found. God Bless You. Thank you

Lacelady 12-03-2009 10:08 AM

If finding a sturdy card has been the problem, then looking at non corrugated card boxes might be an alternative. Well done Elle for your suggestion. Cerial packet card as sold here in Ireland wouldn't be thick enough, but if that is all you can get, then glueing two or even three layers together would do the trick - just don't OD on cerial!

Butterflyspain 12-04-2009 07:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I have shoes scattered around without box lids and soapboxes about to be emptied as soon as, but who cares coz TA DAH here is my finished box.

Really enjoyed doing this one for ME, but will make more for gifts as I felt I was back at playschool with all the glue and mess I made lol

Lacelady 12-04-2009 09:21 AM

WOW, Elle (Claps hands with delight) A huge Well Done to you, you made a great job of that lovely box. You are such a clever lady. Did you have any problems or glitches. or did it go together reasonably well? I am absolutely delighted with something you have done, for the second time in a week. You have made my day yet again, so thank you for that.

Butterflyspain 12-04-2009 10:11 AM

Thanks Lesley, I did have a glitch, but only of my own making had a read it thoroughly. I managed to glue the box lid and top of the lid together before I put on the corner pieces for the lid. But heh it doesnīt look any the worse for that.

Other than that it went together really well and made up fast, I loved the fact that there was very little sewing and a lot of glueing and me getting in a mess with cardboards strewn around, good fun and I needed that.

Elle