Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Fusible Applique - How I do my patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/fusible-applique-how-i-do-my-patterns-t130919.html)

alleyoop1 06-17-2011 03:24 AM

So you don't stitch down your appliques? Don't they eventually come loose? I always stitch down my appliques - usually with a satin or button hole stitch.

Jennifer22206 06-17-2011 03:31 AM

For a wall hanging no, not always. This I probably will stitch with invisible thread.

TanyaL 06-17-2011 03:36 AM

If this block were going into a quilt, a hot pad, or onto a piece of clothing would it withstand repeated washings without the edges being stitched?

jaciqltznok 06-17-2011 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1
So you don't stitch down your appliques? Don't they eventually come loose? I always stitch down my appliques - usually with a satin or button hole stitch.

yes, they will come lose...humidity, dry air, either way...the bonding is not meant to be permanent and it will come lose!

nwm50 06-17-2011 05:31 AM

hmmm, love how you did it but i wonder if a darning foor is available for the featherweights? I have to do a research but would love to make one like yours! Thanks for the tute....

Jennifer22206 06-17-2011 05:40 AM

I usually do stitch them down, not always, but most times. Didn't take a picture because I need to get more invisible thread. Can't take a picture of what you don't have.

Bluequilter 06-17-2011 07:20 AM

Very helpful and great instructions! I will try this. Thanks!

Jazz 06-17-2011 07:24 AM

Jennifer, you're a genius! Thanks for this good explanation.

cherylmae 06-17-2011 07:54 AM

Thank You for that, takes the scariness away!

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
Ok, this is a really long tutorial, and since I've had a lot of PM's about the quilt in my avatar, I figured that I'd make a tutorial with a new pattern that I just made up.

Please bear with me, this is a long one.
Step 1 is to pick your pattern. You can use whatever one you want. The one I'm using is one that I just designed - called Fairy Prayers. Remember that when you do fusible applique, all your images are REVERSED!

Farm Quilter 06-17-2011 09:23 AM

Great job, thanks! Just remember, fusible ISN'T forever and it will lose it's attachment to the background fabric. I found this out the hard way on my avatar.

After 4 months the edges of my tree and thicket were lifting up from the background. I did quilt over all the fused pieces, just didn't get close enough to the edge and the edge lifted. I had to put my round wall hanging back on my frame and quilt a line down the edges of both sides to hold them down properly.

If you want faux trapunto on your pieces, sew the edges down for your fused piece and leave the rest to puff up. If you don't sew it down at all, you run the risk of having it fall off your piece completely.