Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Gift Certificate Holders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/gift-certificate-holders-t48846.html)

janice4 06-08-2010 10:00 AM

6 Attachment(s)
This is my first tutorial so please bear with me . I am a visual learner so there is many pictures for you to refer to in case I am not making myself very clear. I have a lot of trouble understanding patterns ......this is why I just figure it out and do it. :) I will post the pictures and explain as I go.
You will need just scraps of fabric for this project or if you prefer two 6 x 8 inch cuts will be plenty. I used steam a seam for stability.

You will trace two templates 2 3/4 x 3 3/4 inch and the second template will have a little dip in center. You can draw the first one out and fold in half to make the curve . I cut my templates out of plastic as I intend to make many of these.

Lay your template on top of steam and seam and trace pattern for both templates.
Place the steam a seam onto the wrong side of the fabric you will use. (6 x 8 inch piece )
Steam in place with a pressing cloth or another piece of fabric over top.
Cut these pieces out and peel off the backing of the steam a seam.
Now lay these pieces onto the wrong side of second piece of fabric (6 x 8inch ) and steam together.
Cut these out and you can top stitch the one with the dip if you like.
Lay both pieces together and sew 1/4 inch seams down the sides and bottom and back up the other side and you are done !! Trim to 1/8 inch and fill with a gift card.

drawing pattern onto steam a seam
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81370[/ATTACH]

Place steam a seam onto fabric and press and cut out and remove backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81373[/ATTACH]

Press the pieces to the second fabric and cut out
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81374[/ATTACH]

Top stitch along piece withe the dip and place together to sew up side, bottom and side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81375[/ATTACH]

Fill with a gift card
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81376[/ATTACH]

Make several in different themes for your friends and family
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81377[/ATTACH]

Sue Fish 06-08-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by janice4
This is my first tutorial so please bear with me . I am a visual learner so there is many pictures for you to refer to in case I am not making myself very clear. I have a lot of trouble understanding patterns ......this is why I just figure it out and do it. :) I will post the pictures and explain as I go.
You will need just scraps of fabric for this project or if you prefer two 6 x 8 inch cuts will be plenty. I used steam a seam for stability.

You will trace two templates 2 3/4 x 3 3/4 inch and the second template will have a little dip in center. You can draw the first one out and fold in half to make the curve . I cut my templates out of plastic as I intend to make many of these.

Lay your template on top of steam and seam and trace pattern for both templates.
Place the steam a seam onto the wrong side of the fabric you will use. (6 x 8 inch piece )
Steam in place with a pressing cloth or another piece of fabric over top.
Cut these pieces out and peel off the backing of the steam a seam.
Now lay these pieces onto the wrong side of second piece of fabric (6 x 8inch ) and steam together.
Cut these out and you can top stitch the one with the dip if you like.
Lay both pieces together and sew 1/4 inch seams down the sides and bottom and back up the other side and you are done !! Trim to 1/8 inch and fill with a gift card.

Very nice!
We give our 14 yr old grand daughter money each wk for her main Christmas gift and we had a gift card envelope that we fill and hand to her and she hands it back to us for the next wk...lol this would be nice for that...
thanks for sharing

janice4 06-08-2010 10:17 AM

ah at 14 they love that :)>> mine is just almost 2 so we been doing bonds for every occassion.. for a college fund later ;) but once she figures out money I am sure we will be handing out too;)

amma 06-08-2010 10:44 AM

Thank you for making this tute for us :D:D:D

janice4 06-08-2010 11:00 AM

you are welcome ;)

craftybear 06-08-2010 11:19 AM

Thanks for the tutorial!

craftybear 06-08-2010 11:19 AM

also would be cute to make these to hang on your christmas trees!

janice4 06-08-2010 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
also would be cute to make these to hang on your christmas trees!

oh yes they would ;)>>

QuiltingGrannie 06-08-2010 04:05 PM

Thanks for the tutorial. You did good job and the idea has a lot of possibilities.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-08-2010 06:28 PM

Hi Janice! Nice tute. Thanks!!
Okay, you can fill mine with the following Gift Cards:
Starbucks
Itunes
Barnes & Noble
ANY fabric store that gives GC
Bath & Body Works
hmmm........... I know there are more lololol :D:D:D:D:D