Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Hand Quilting in Floor Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/hand-quilting-floor-frame-t151373.html)

purplemem 09-26-2011 01:23 PM

No, I do that all the time. It just takes time to quilt.

postal packin' mama 09-26-2011 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
No, I do that all the time. It just takes time to quilt.

re:machine quilting with stencil markings:
Thank you for your reply. I'd love to try handquilting but my hands go numb so I've only done stitch-in-the-ditch and crosshatch quilting with a walking foot.

So essentially, I'd probably still basically be fmq'ing with the feeddogs down, only slowly and carefully following the stencil lines... hopefully... :-D

purplemem 09-26-2011 02:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I use this cool tool for my arthritic hands,
my hands go numb, can't grip, etc.

I bought one at Tractor Supply for $5, and at Harbor Freight for $2 that was smaller. I love it as it works great for pulling the needle through.

Be sure and get the turned up needle nose with the spring loaded handles, it really saves your wrists and hands.

needle nosed upturned w/spring load
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262742[/ATTACH]

Ninnie 09-26-2011 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
Is there any reason the stencil markings couldn't also be
used for machine quilting, using a walking foot?
Thanks.

they r great for machine quilting, also things around the house, u can use to mark,and use walkingfoot to sew!

Machine quilting is something i need to learn,because i know someday, eyes will not be what they r now
let me know how the quilting onthe markings goes
also the stencil co. has stencils made especially for machine quilting , check them out

crafty3236 11-04-2011 07:14 AM

goodmorning
I also m a handquilter, but it has been awhile, I m working on a twin I got to tell you my my fingers are sore! n Im only 3/4 done n have another right behind it to do. what do you use for the under fingers? I heard on here about aunt bessie ( I think that the name of it)but havent sent for it .

linken 11-04-2011 08:50 AM

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial!

AshleyR 11-05-2011 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by crafty3236 (Post 4630083)
goodmorning
I also m a handquilter, but it has been awhile, I m working on a twin I got to tell you my my fingers are sore! n Im only 3/4 done n have another right behind it to do. what do you use for the under fingers? I heard on here about aunt bessie ( I think that the name of it)but havent sent for it .

Crafty, I have an Aunt Becky and I don't like it, and a lot of people feel the same way. I use my thumb under the quilt, not my finger. Maybe your needles are too sharp? I know I have some that I won't use because they are too sharp and they really hurt. The needle shouldn't go into your skin, just touch it. When I used Aunt Becky, the needle wasn't coming through the backing.

bmanley 11-05-2011 07:37 AM

Thank you so much. I hand quilt and want to use some stencils but was not sure how to do this. Thanks sooooo much. Can't wait to try.