Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   A home-made machine needle sharpener (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/home-made-machine-needle-sharpener-t121748.html)

OHSue 05-21-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by CANDY1
THIS IS NOT A GREAT IDEA,Running a needle through steel wool is only going to dull the point more on its way in. The object of a very sharp needle is to penetrate to the side of the knitted fibers in your fabric. What you will be doing is creating a ball point needle. Which is great for woven fabrics like steel wool. They do make a pin cushion for deburring pins,but a pin does not have to be as percise as a needle. Especially when I see you doing this for a machine like a beautiful BERNINA 830!
The Facts.

[/quote]

You know I was kind of thinking of this myself. I don't think needles are expensive enough that I want to try this one out.

Dar-midlife 06-02-2011 10:38 AM

[quote=sfguimaraes]Well... I'm not confident if my English is enough to publish a tut... hmmm... let me try!

Your English if perfect! Please don't ever let that stop you in sharing something with us! Way to go and I will definitely try this.

grandbysquilts 06-06-2011 03:38 AM

I did the same thing, but I made a pin cushion. I began by filling a decorative ceramic planter about 3 inches tall with steel wool, adding fabric to the top, pushing it inside the rim of the planter and gluing between the fabric and the planter. Everytime I stick a pin in it or pull one out of it, it get's sharpened twice. And it's decorative. Should have taking a picture of it. We just have to remember to not let it get wet since steel wool rusts. Have been using it for years now. And it fits right inside my sewing drawer.

M'Lady Leuedaei 06-28-2011 11:39 AM

Wonderful! Now I don't have to worry about running to the store every time I start a new project. Funds are short now-a-days and it's nice to know I can recycle instead of throw out. Thank you.

craftybear 06-28-2011 12:05 PM

thanks for the great idea!

leahbug 09-14-2011 07:14 PM

Thanks for sharing this information and I will be trying this out as soon as I can get the steel wool.

Justmetoo 09-14-2011 10:28 PM

Great idea, I love simple things that make life easier! Thanks so much for sharing this with us :)
By the way you do just fine with your english!!!

Justmetoo 09-14-2011 10:40 PM

I have sharpend pins and hand needles many times by sticking through steel wool, but never thought of this idea! For those who mentioned they were afraid of this idea I want to say that yrs. ago in a craft class we made homemade straight pin sharpeners & holders to stick the pins in. We used canning jar lids as the base, put steel wool pads on top and covered them both with velvet, or velveteen. We then glued this to a small glass ashtray, or dish. I still have mine and I still use it! I have had no problem, it sharpens them all, over and over again. :)

Justmetoo 09-14-2011 10:46 PM

[quote=OHSue]

Originally Posted by CANDY1
THIS IS NOT A GREAT IDEA,Running a needle through steel wool is only going to dull the point more on its way in. The object of a very sharp needle is to penetrate to the side of the knitted fibers in your fabric. What you will be doing is creating a ball point needle. Which is great for woven fabrics like steel wool. They do make a pin cushion for deburring pins,but a pin does not have to be as percise as a needle. Especially when I see you doing this for a machine like a beautiful BERNINA 830!
The Facts.

You know I was kind of thinking of this myself. I don't think needles are expensive enough that I want to try this one out.

:-D :thumbup:

Justmetoo 09-14-2011 10:49 PM

[quote=Justmetoo][quote=OHSue][quote=CANDY1]THIS IS NOT A GREAT IDEA,Running a needle through steel wool is only going to dull the point more on its way in. The object of a very sharp needle is to penetrate to the side of the knitted fibers in your fabric. What you will be doing is creating a ball point needle. Which is great for woven fabrics like steel wool. They do make a pin cushion for deburring pins,but a pin does not have to be as percise as a needle. Especially when I see you doing this for a machine like a beautiful BERNINA 830!
The Facts.

Ladies it works, ")