Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   How To Create Depth in This Half-Wonky Shoo Fly Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/how-create-depth-half-wonky-shoo-fly-quilt-t214982.html)

oksewglad 02-26-2013 11:29 PM

A very methodical and easy to understand tute, n2. I enjoyed it thoroughly!

onthemove 02-27-2013 04:19 AM

Such ugly fabrics yet when you put it together it is very cool looking!!! Thank you for the tute. I am going to try this one.

mawluv 02-27-2013 05:17 AM

Great tut, thanks for posting!!!

n2scraplvr 02-27-2013 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone!

In rereading my script, I realized I left out a paragraph @ post #6 so here it is describing the low contrast block: I had accidentally hit the wrong key and duplicated my page's paragraphs, lost my place in pasting, and finally picked it all up but omitting this one paragraph! Whew! Tut posting can be so much fun!! :eek::shock::rolleyes:

Another type block is 'low contrast'. Here's a pic of one. It is a dark meeting a dark cool color one. Another way to say that so you understand is it's a cool color of the darkest kind meeting together with a dark color from the warm color family. haha. That is a lot to explain, isn't it? Another way to say that is it's a dark meeting a dark showing little contrast no matter which color family it's from! There we go! We have it now! On the other side of that coin is a light meeting a light also showing very little contrast between the two. Out of 16 blocks so far, I only have one low contrast, but would make more to go in the quilt as they provide a lot of interest to the quilt. I like their low level way of interaction. You might say they are the quiet blocks in a quilt (the light ones only). The dark low contrast ones act as a bridge sometimes. For example, I used this block as a bridge to getting to my highest contrast block and when they are placed together, you notice it!

jeaninmaine 02-28-2013 04:51 AM

I just love this tutorial, I've always enjoyed looking at wonky type quilts but never had the courage to try and make one. Your explanation of how to play with the different designs and get them to work together was great. Thank you so very much.

susiequilt 02-28-2013 05:04 AM

WOW Wish I had your eye!
Thanks for all your work on that tutorial!

Emma S 02-28-2013 06:50 AM

What an amazing tut! So much information and the samples really nail the concept. Thank you so much for your time and your expertise!

carolstickelmaier 02-28-2013 07:53 AM

Loved your tut......This one is going on my to do list with my scraps.........Now to decide if I want to do it in warm reds, oranges and pinks or cool greens and blues with occasional purple....purple I think will work either way depending on color tone and strength. Oh my mind is working! But must finish the three I have already started as next Christmas gifts.....May take a break on next retreat and try this tut..will let you all know how it goes.

QandE2010 02-28-2013 09:50 AM

Thanks so much for the easy to understand, concise and thorough rite. I love how you have played with the colors and shapes.

sewbeadit 03-07-2013 04:51 PM

Great tut, even I can understand it.:thumbup: