Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   how I come up with a quilting motif (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/how-i-come-up-quilting-motif-t243306.html)

feline fanatic 03-16-2014 09:51 AM

how I come up with a quilting motif

5 Attachment(s)
I find that the most appealing quilting designs are ones that are repetitive. I think that is probably because things in nature are repetitive and we are probably drawn to repetitive designs. Nature is full of fractals which are never ending designs that repeat themselves mathmatically. So when I come up with a motif, I try to figure out a way to break it down and repeat it by mirroring and duplicating. Karen McTavish calls it elemental quilting, she breaks the design into a few simple elements then by mirroring and repeating you end up with a pleasing design that looks really complex. Here is how I do it.

This hand pieced quilt was delivered to me for quilting

[ATTACH=CONFIG]467505[/ATTACH]

I isolated the repeating block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467506[/ATTACH]

Then I isloated a unit of the block to get a basic shape to repeat. I chose this heart shaped unit.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467507[/ATTACH]

I placed a piece of tracing paper over the unit and traced the outside line of the unit then came up with a simple swirly motif for the outer part and a teardrop shape in the inner part. You can also use a clear piece of plastic or plexiglass and erasable white board markers. I am old school and like paper.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467508[/ATTACH]

And here is what the completed block looks like all quilted up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467509[/ATTACH]
Sometimes you get pleasant surprises. In this case the unquilted area coming off the center hexi forms a secondary star pattern. Can you see the 6 star points?

dakotamaid 03-16-2014 09:54 AM

Feline, that is absolutely beautiful! Don't we love secondary designs? :)

dunster 03-16-2014 10:18 AM

When I first saw the top, I thought it was just a mish-mash of unrelated shapes. But seeing what you have done with the quilting - wow! It is transformed. You've illuminated the shapes that were there (that I couldn't see) and added more interest as well. Absolutely wonderful! Now you have to show us the whole quilt -- please!

SueSavage 03-16-2014 10:28 AM

WOW!! Breathtaking! I just joined this group 10 minutes ago and this is the first thing I saw.

AngeliaNR 03-16-2014 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6629431)
When I first saw the top, I thought it was just a mish-mash of unrelated shapes. But seeing what you have done with the quilting - wow! It is transformed. You've illuminated the shapes that were there (that I couldn't see) and added more interest as well. Absolutely wonderful! Now you have to show us the whole quilt -- please!

Yes! From "ho-hum" to "oh wow"! Beautiful work. :)

Tartan 03-16-2014 10:38 AM

It is going to be gorgeous!

PurplePassion 03-16-2014 12:26 PM

Exactly what I was thinking! Wow!

DebbieJJ 03-17-2014 01:26 AM

Just transforming! The quilting made this quilt! Yes, please show us the whole quilt......:thumbup:

Cindy60545 03-17-2014 01:30 AM

Boy, do I agree! I thought the quilt didn't have any rime nor reason to it til I saw your quilting! Please share the finish!

Kani 03-17-2014 01:36 AM

Wow from busy to beautiful. Thank you for the tutorial.
Would love to see he finished quilt