Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   How to make Fabric Bowls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/how-make-fabric-bowls-t38922.html)

annthreecats 07-30-2011 02:32 AM

I love this tutorial. Very clear and easy to understand. Great work.

Candy Apple Quilts 07-30-2011 03:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by NitaM39

I've never cut my strips on the bias. In my mind I think that's more work than it's worth. I cut them on the cross grain - some stretch a little more than others, some not at all - like batiks, but as long as I start wrapping them on an angle, it works out well. It takes me 2 hours to wrap 100 feet.

Nita in MI

I've never cut mine on the bias either.... didn't even stop and think about it. Oops -- :lol: I had some scraps and I just started wrapping! I used a plain zig zig, and the regular foot. Sometimes it's fun to do a project when you have no idea what you're doing! :lol: It may not be done the right way, but I still like it.

Inside of basket
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233611[/ATTACH]

Bottom
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233612[/ATTACH]

NitaM39 07-30-2011 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers

Originally Posted by Dawn Hendrix
uuuggghhhh no clothesline at my small town walmart dangit

I have checked 3 hardware stores in our area plus a K-Mart and a Walmart in another town and none of them had the all cotton clothesline rope. All said "I know they USED to make it," but now all they have is a poly or nylon blend. I'll keep looking.

All the clothesline nowadays is only cotton covered - they all have some type of poly center. Just make sure it is a cotton covered clothesline and you'll be just fine. K-Mart and Ace hardware stores carry a slightly larger size of clothesline than Wally world does. Either size works. You will find the clothesline at WW and KM in the hardware section - with ropes and chains.

Nita in hot MI

NitaM39 07-30-2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Candy Apple Quilts

Originally Posted by NitaM39

I've never cut my strips on the bias. In my mind I think that's more work than it's worth. I cut them on the cross grain - some stretch a little more than others, some not at all - like batiks, but as long as I start wrapping them on an angle, it works out well. It takes me 2 hours to wrap 100 feet.

Nita in MI

I've never cut mine on the bias either.... didn't even stop and think about it. Oops -- :lol: I had some scraps and I just started wrapping! I used a plain zig zig, and the regular foot. Sometimes it's fun to do a project when you have no idea what you're doing! :lol: It may not be done the right way, but I still like it.

Nice job on your bowl CandyApple.

Nita in MI

Eddie 07-30-2011 08:15 PM

The reason that I cut it on the bias is that I noticed my first attempts the bowls came out "fuzzy" looking with the loose threads, which makes sense if you think about it. When you cut across the WOF you tend to have more loose threads on the cut than if you cut on the bias where the ends are just on the edge and thread is "embedded" in the strip, so you have much less fuzziness that way.

Pam Perry 07-31-2011 01:51 PM

Nice bowl, I think I missed something I do not know what to do when its time to make the walls of the bowl.

Candy Apple Quilts 07-31-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
The reason that I cut it on the bias is that I noticed my first attempts the bowls came out "fuzzy" looking with the loose threads, which makes sense if you think about it. When you cut across the WOF you tend to have more loose threads on the cut than if you cut on the bias where the ends are just on the edge and thread is "embedded" in the strip, so you have much less fuzziness that way.

Another way to do it is to wrap the fabric lengthwise along the clothesline, instead of twisting it around. I've done it that way too, and like the look of it, but it's a bit awkward to maneuver, and you have to be careful that your raw edges don't come undone. Truly, the best way to do it is exactly the way Eddie shows in the pictures.

NitaM39 07-31-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie

That's probably very true, but as I said, I'm lazy. Some fabrics seem to ravel more than others, but to me it gives them a kind of "folk" look which I don't mind, nor have any of the people who have bought my bowls. I'll give you another way to finish off the edges - compliments of Erik Drexler of Sulky Threads - serge one raw edge of each strip - I just do a whole bunch at one time, one right after the other, clip threads before I wind them on. Use a contrasting thread and it looks quite pretty.

Nita in MI

SassySewer53 08-01-2011 01:08 PM

Eddie, as usual,your tutorials are excellent! I like your fabric bowls, and will try making some one of these days. Ronda

debbieumphress 08-01-2011 01:24 PM

Thanks for this wonderful tute.