Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   How to use Elmer's Washable School Glue (because y'all asked) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/how-use-elmers-washable-school-glue-because-yall-asked-t217470.html)

SherriB 03-27-2013 11:13 AM

MaryAnn,

What kind of floor do you have? The only room I have with open floor space is our family room and it has the laminate wood floor. I am sure DH would have a fit if I ironed on it. I wonder if laying down a thick fleece blanket would help protect the floor? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

nannyrick 03-27-2013 11:36 AM

Thanks so much. for the tute on this. Very interesting!!! Have to try it.

tapper 03-27-2013 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB (Post 5958355)
MaryAnn,

What kind of floor do you have? The only room I have with open floor space is our family room and it has the laminate wood floor. I am sure DH would have a fit if I ironed on it. I wonder if laying down a thick fleece blanket would help protect the floor? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I used the glue on my most recent quilt sandwich. Works like a charm! And it came off my laminated floor...I just used a damp mop.

tapper 03-27-2013 12:18 PM

Thanks for the great tute. Glue basting....I'm a believer!

MaryAnnMc 03-27-2013 02:46 PM

MaryAnn,

Sherri, my floors are ceramic tile, but I have a large area rug in the living room I can pin to. If I had laminate floor, I think I would tape to the floor (use the blue painter's tape) and rather than ironing, let it dry. I'm not sure how long it would take, but unless it's very humid, I would think a few hours would do it. I'm sure if we all put our "thinking caps" on we'll find a solution for you.

coastienest 03-27-2013 05:31 PM

MaryAnn thank you so much. You have convinced me and I will b trying it with my next quilt, early next week.

Thanks again
Debbie

dakotamaid 03-27-2013 05:45 PM

With 2 or 3 layers of fabric approx. how long to iron the glue dry. :)

SittingPretty 03-27-2013 06:02 PM

I was really intrigued with the glue method, so I tried it on a table runner I was making. Rather than applying the glue in a line, I dotted the glue all over the batting about 4" apart. Then I layed the backing on it and ironed. Flipped it over and did the same thing with the top. Worked like a charm. No shifting, nice and neat when quilted, no puckers, etc. I just LOVE this method!

EasyPeezy 03-27-2013 06:24 PM

MaryAnn,

Could you build a large ironing board and put it on two workhorses? I have one and
find it very handy for ironing (of course) and now for glue basting.

marymay 03-28-2013 02:53 AM

Thank You for all the tips.