Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Ice Dyed Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/ice-dyed-fabric-t262917.html)

melodyr 03-23-2015 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by dmarie (Post 7137103)
I noticed you did this over your sink. Does it stain it? If so how to you get it out? Thanks I really want to try it.

It doesn't stain my stainless sink, rinses right out, although my white counter tops sometimes get some on them, but Clorox takes it right off. It will stain your hands too, so either wear gloves or use the clorox on yourself. This fiber reactive dye works on natural fibers but not synthetic. (cotton, silk and rayon do best. If you want to dye wool, use acid dyes. They're best for wool or silk too) I have a couple of $1 tubs from the Dollar Store that I use when I don't want to tie up my sink and you can save the dye drippings for other uses like tee shirts.

This is a professional permanent dye that doesn't have to be 'set' when you rinse it , it's done. I do iron my fabric with a hot iron, but it isn't vital to the colorfastness of the dye...fiber reactive dyes bond with the fibers.

dmarie 03-23-2015 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by melodyr (Post 7137725)
It doesn't stain my stainless sink, rinses right out, although my white counter tops sometimes get some on them, but Clorox takes it right off. It will stain your hands too, so either wear gloves or use the clorox on yourself. This fiber reactive dye works on natural fibers but not synthetic. (cotton, silk and rayon do best. If you want to dye wool, use acid dyes. They're best for wool or silk too) I have a couple of $1 tubs from the Dollar Store that I use when I don't want to tie up my sink and you can save the dye drippings for other uses like tee shirts.

This is a professional permanent dye that doesn't have to be 'set' when you rinse it , it's done. I do iron my fabric with a hot iron, but it isn't vital to the colorfastness of the dye...fiber reactive dyes bond with the fibers.

Thanks for the information about the staining. I have a large stainless steel sink in the basement that would be perfect to use. I was also wondering if it had to be heat set and you answered that too. Great tutorial. Thanks for posting it.

melodyr 03-23-2015 06:39 AM

When I have my niece over to help (she's 22) I tape garbage bags to the wall behind my counters and then cover the counters with garbage bags too. She's pretty careful, but when more than one person is working with dye, things happen. Designate special tools for dye use (spoons, containers, racks) it is toxic. Not deadly unless ingested in significant amounts, but there's no sense in using the same spoon to stir your coffee.

IBQUILTIN 03-23-2015 08:49 AM

Thanx Melody for a great tute. I am going to try to dye fabrics this summer so I have bookmarked this one. Can't wait

MargeD 03-23-2015 09:54 AM

WOW, what gorgeous fabric. Thanks for sharing the directions for "ice dyeing."

works4me 03-23-2015 03:15 PM

Oh sure, just one more thing I have to try. :) Thanks for the tutorial. The fabrics and scarves are gorgeous. I checked around locally and soda ash is sold at pool supply stores. Too bad the smallest package is 1 kg (2.2pounds) That's going to go a LONG way.

lynnie 03-23-2015 03:39 PM

looks good, how about dying your ice?

joan of art 03-23-2015 03:58 PM

I have been ice dying for 3 years. I mainly dye silk but cotton is great also. I have been told to let it sit 24 hrs. This is called batching. You never know what it's going to look like. It's always a surprise. Love it. Now I am selling my scarves practically off my neck. Next I am going to try doing T-shirts and cotton fabric. I actually get a group together and we have a dye party. In less than 30 min., your done. The ice does the rest so we have a pot luck lunch. I have dyed with the commercial dyes from the grocery store. The cold dye ones and they worked. Happy dying !

melodyr 03-24-2015 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by works4me (Post 7138366)
Oh sure, just one more thing I have to try. :) Thanks for the tutorial. The fabrics and scarves are gorgeous. I checked around locally and soda ash is sold at pool supply stores. Too bad the smallest package is 1 kg (2.2pounds) That's going to go a LONG way.

I buy it in big bags from the farm store but it never goes bad and you always have it on hand that way.

oklahomamom2 03-24-2015 04:51 PM

I love your fabric the colors are awesome.