Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Idea - Large Pressing Board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/idea-large-pressing-board-t62721.html)

miholmes 09-02-2010 11:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
*This is not my original idea. However I have made one and really like it so I am posting a tutorial.

Good Afteroon,

Today I created a large pressing pad. WHY did I do this you might wonder? Well I wanted to be able to press a full piece of cloth from selvage to selvage. On a traditional ironing board you end up only getting a sliver of fabric at the end, this way I have a large surface to press yards of fabric or even lay out many squares or blocks to iron at a time.

Total cost to me $11.00

Here's what you need:

* Precut ply wood - I got mine from Home Depot it was 1/4" thick and the measurements are 24x48. The cost is around $11.00
* 100% Cotton Batting cut to size (2 layers) - Here is a good way to use up larger pieces of left over batting and joining them together using your joining foot. Also leave enough batting so that it covers the edges of the plywood when wrapped around
* 100% Cotton Fabric - I also used a larger peice from my stash to cover the board
* 505 Basting Spary (optional) I had this for embroidery and sprayed some between the layers of batting as well as to the plywood to keep the batting in place.
* Stapler and staples - This can be a hand / electric / or air powered stapler with 1/4" staples. Be sure the preasure of your gun is seto the lowest setting so the staples don't go though the other side of the board.

Step 1 - smooth your batting over the plywood. If you wish to apply the 505 spray between the 2 layers of batting as well as to the plywood. Smooth the top.
Step 2 - Smooth the fabric over the top of the batting and flip the plywood over
Step 3 - Staple the batting first being sure it's pulled tight. Pretend you are wrapping a present, this will give you nice corners
Step 4 - Staple the fabric, pretend you are wrapping a present, this will give you nice corners

Once that's done flip it over and you're done! You now have a nice pressing surface you can put on a table, or countertop and use to press. When you're not using it, you can put it in a closet out of the way.

Hopefully I have remember to add everything here. If I have omitted something / or you have questions please let me know.

Items you will need
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109500[/ATTACH]

When it's done
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109501[/ATTACH]

erstan947 09-02-2010 11:52 AM

Good Tut! Thanks for taking the time. Happy Quilting!

fabrichore 09-02-2010 12:44 PM

thanks great idea...

quilting Carol 09-02-2010 01:17 PM

Thanks I want my son to make me one...

Jim's Gem 09-02-2010 02:50 PM

Thanks for the tute!!!!

sewmuchmore 09-02-2010 04:51 PM

thanks for the tutorials this is an "Oh honey" see what I want. He going to love it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

burnsk 09-02-2010 07:11 PM

You can also screw wood "guides" on the bottom (the width of your ironing board) so it will set on your ironing board and not move around. These are wonderful. Thanks for the 'tut'.

dakotamaid 09-03-2010 05:02 AM

Great idea. Only one comment on batting, shouldn't the batting be cotton or cotton blend, wouldn't poly batting melt from the heat?

miholmes 09-03-2010 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Great idea. Only one comment on batting, shouldn't the batting be cotton or cotton blend, wouldn't poly batting melt from the heat?

That's a good question, and it should be 100% cotton batting. I know some people have also used Instulbrite, but I just do a double layer of 100% cotton batting. You don't want any poly as it melts, as you mentioned. :)

In the "what you need" list it says 100% cotton batting, but I didn't include that tid-bit in the rest of the instructions. ;)

dakotamaid 09-03-2010 05:56 AM

As usual I can't read!! You did say 100 % cotton.