Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Let's Make a Fast Winding Ways Mini from Scratch! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/lets-make-fast-winding-ways-mini-scratch-t79027.html)

n2scraplvr 11-27-2010 02:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It's ok if the points extend beyond the frame. We want them long enough to ensure all points will meet. We can trim later if needed, but I found no trimming was needed at all when I finished.

lay the bottom left wedge in place
[ATTACH=CONFIG]134814[/ATTACH]

Finally, lay the last wedge on top making sure all edges of underlying pieces are covered. It looks very close to the edge and all tips of wedges should meet adequately.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]134817[/ATTACH]

n2scraplvr 11-27-2010 02:45 PM

That completes the process and order of laying out your pieces to ensure everything gets covered appropriately. The blocks can now be fused individually to each block by removing the papers and positioning pieces by working on one block at a time until all blocks are done. Next fuse all squared up blocks side by side and finally, fuse all squared up rows together. I want to add that squaring up should be done cautiously and as minimally as possible.

Thank you for following along with me as I showed the steps I took in making this cute little mini!! Nine blocks seemed sufficient to show the wonderful interplay of circles coming forth, but even more blocks would add luster to an already well-built foundation of fun fabrics and color!

The finishing of this quilt could be done by any number of methods. My focus was mainly on the creation of the quilt with fabric selection and colors used rather than the applique process. Fused applique is wonderful, but for all practical purposes, I may just glue it all down as a wallhanging that's all that will be needed. For those who want to make a full quilt out of this, you should consider the labor involved of individually fusing to achieve a scrappy look. Maybe a 2 color WW would be much quicker.

I think fray check on the edges and spray adhesive is the way I'll complete this mini. Even finishing off with an invisible thread is another avenue or just leave it raw edge!! The choice is yours!

I'm so tickled you followed along and wish you lots of success and happy sewing times making your own Winding Ways mini!!

Until next time,
happy quilting! n2 :D :D :D

stewyscrewy 11-27-2010 03:00 PM

what a grate tute I will have to get busy and get my show stuff out of the way. I so wenat to play with one of these. thank you for showing and sharing.

n2scraplvr 11-27-2010 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
what a grate tute I will have to get busy and get my show stuff out of the way. I so wenat to play with one of these. thank you for showing and sharing.

Your very welcome!! Hope you have fun with it and it turns out great!!!

:-D :-D ;)

amma 11-27-2010 03:56 PM

Thank you for the tute :D:D:D

n2scraplvr 11-27-2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Thank you for the tute :D:D:D

Your welcome, amma!!!

;) 8-)

hperttula123 11-27-2010 09:44 PM

Thanks for the tute!!! It will be after Christmas before I even attempt to try this. :)

craftybear 11-28-2010 02:41 AM

thanks for the great tutorial!

Deb watkins 11-28-2010 03:01 AM

What a great tutorial. Being a visual person, it was very easy to understand and follow. Thanks.

watterstide 11-28-2010 03:54 AM

Thank you for the super easy to understand tutorial!
it is awesome..and i love scrappy quilts the best!
you are a great teacher! :thumbup: