Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Making twin fitted sheets from twin flat with SHEET ELASTIC (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/making-twin-fitted-sheets-twin-flat-sheet-elastic-t134831.html)

terry leffler 07-04-2011 05:06 PM

Thank you soo much!

terry leffler 07-04-2011 05:06 PM

Thank you soo much!

JoyjoyMarie 07-05-2011 04:22 AM

I have a sheet sitting in the closet waiting for me to figure out how to do this--my brain is soooo lazy! Thanks for the tutorial- this solves my problem! Great information!

plainpat 07-05-2011 10:01 AM

Wonder if Joanns or other local stores carry fold over elastic?

dollycaswell 07-05-2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Wonder if Joanns or other local stores carry fold over elastic?

I've seen similar, but like I said in a previous discussion, they are the small bubble packs that cost about $4-5 each as I recall.

Sportzmom 07-05-2011 04:32 PM

For Feathers -

For a crib sheet cut 39 1/2" x 62 1/2" sheet fabric; seams 3/8" - cut 5" squares out of all four corners of your crib sheet fabric; with right sides together sew cut-out sections together to form corners to go over the mattress (serge, or sew and then zigzag); I then would fold over raw edges all the way around 1/4" and then again 1/4"; I would then take 1/4 inch elastic and start 6-10 inches from the corner and sew the elastic on the wrong side of the sheet stretching it as you sew from one corner to the next right on the 1/4" hem. I don't sew it all the way around the sheet, but you can if you prefer.

I would make them out of flannel and they fit perfectly. You can do the same thing and make cradle sheets the only difference is the size - large cradle 24" x 40" and small cradle 22" x 38" cutting out 2" squares in all four corners.

I never worried about anyone seeing the elastic as it is on the inside of the sheet next to the mattress. Very fast and fun. Always a big hit and if you are giving it as a gift with something else you can use the sheet as wrapping paper. Enjoy!

Patricia Ann 07-05-2011 08:01 PM

what do you mean sew the corner together you show dash lines on 2 sides what do you sew together.Do you completely cut out the whole corner

Patricia Ann 07-05-2011 08:02 PM

do you sew the elastic around the whole sheet

OHSue 07-05-2011 08:40 PM

Thanks for this info, just yesterday I had another bottom sheet bite the dust and realized I have a few flats without bottoms, no I can repurpose them and get more life out of them. And put enough elastic on them so I don't have to worry about them popping off.

dollycaswell 07-05-2011 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia Ann
what do you mean sew the corner together you show dash lines on 2 sides what do you sew together.Do you completely cut out the whole corner

yes, you cut a square out of each corner BUT ONLY AFTER you have made all your calculations and come up with the size of square you need to cut out.

You will fold the corners back on each other, like a giant dart, and sew them together. If you go look at your fitted sheets you will see that they have done some sort of alteration in the corners to make it fit down around the corner of the mattress.