Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   My grandmother's wallhanging hangers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/my-grandmothers-wallhanging-hangers-t230801.html)

DustysMomma 09-22-2013 07:38 AM

My grandmother's wallhanging hangers

10 Attachment(s)
I shared this story on a swap and was asked to post a tutorial.

When Gramma was alive and still living in her apartment, we went to visit & I noticed an old quilt that I remembered always being at the foot of her bed when I was little, that suddenly was on her wall. Then I thought I didn't remember it being so small, so I asked her about it. She said that it was her mother's, and she'd decided that she'd held onto it long enough, and decided to share it with her sister. So, she took it apart (my family always ties off quilts instead of SID or FMQ), removed the border, took the seam out down the center of it, and stitched new off-white backing on the 1 of the halves. Then she sent the other half to her sister with the original backing and the borders. Well then it was too small to do anything with, so she got to talking to some of her friends about it and they told her she should hang it up so it wouldn't get damaged. She made some tabs and put them on the back with buttons. I asked her wasn't it too heavy to hang like that, and she said that the batting was so bad when she took it apart that she'd left it out when she sewed it back together, because she was just happy to still have the blanket at all, so it was light enough. I got my now ex-husband to take it down so I could see what she did.

Below is a photo tutorial. Remember to think ahead when you decide how many of these to use. The heavier the piece, the more strips it needs, and it's not for full quilts, only for wallhangings!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]437469[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]437470[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]437471[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]437472[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]437473[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]437474[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]437475[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]437476[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]437477[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]437478[/ATTACH]

DustysMomma 09-22-2013 07:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]437479[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]437480[/ATTACH]

Enjoy!

DOTTYMO 09-22-2013 08:16 AM

It looks a wonderful idea, do you have a picture of it on the wall with quilt please.

QuiltnNan 09-22-2013 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6307686)
It looks a wonderful idea, do you have a picture of it on the wall with quilt please.

that's what i was hoping to see also. thanks for taking time to post the tut

DustysMomma 09-22-2013 09:56 AM

I'm sewing the buttons on the wallhanging I made these for today, and I'll post a photo after. :)

DustysMomma 09-22-2013 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lesson learned for the day. The wallhanging that I'm using these on is pretty light, even compared to most wallhangings, because it's just a small one. I shorted the tabs to approximately 3-1/2" finished length, and here's how the wallhanging looks on the wall with them:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]437498[/ATTACH]

kay carlson 09-23-2013 07:16 AM

Fantastic! Thank you very, very much. :-)

EasyPeezy 09-23-2013 10:38 AM

How do you attach the wall-hanging to the wall? Sorry to be so dense.
I assume if the buttons are attached to the wall-hanging then the hangers
go on the wall but how? Can you post a picture?

marla 09-23-2013 12:50 PM

thank you for this tip. I may use it to coordinate shower curtains to the bedroom quilt and change out when I put a different quilt on the bed. Either the buttons or Velcro.

DustysMomma 09-23-2013 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 6309771)
How do you attach the wall-hanging to the wall? Sorry to be so dense.
I assume if the buttons are attached to the wall-hanging then the hangers
go on the wall but how? Can you post a picture?

Not a dense question at all. I just happened to attach mine to the wall with quilting pins for this tutorial and hadn't taken it down yet, so I just snapped another photo! As you see below, the pin/nail/decorative hanger goes through the topbuttonhole, where you see the red pinhead.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]437719[/ATTACH]