Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Mysi's Mystery 11Dec2010 DO NOT CUT YET ! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/mysis-mystery-11dec2010-do-not-cut-yet-t82205.html)

hlponyfarm 12-23-2010 03:22 AM

please excuse my silly questions. I am very new to quilting and am learning the terminology etc.
On the cutting instructions. it says say cut 2 strips of 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 then it says total of 16 pcs. how can you have 16 peices if you only cut 2 strips? already confused and we havent even started yet.

candi 12-23-2010 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
please excuse my silly questions. I am very new to quilting and am learning the terminology etc.
On the cutting instructions. it says say cut 2 strips of 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 then it says total of 16 pcs. how can you have 16 peices if you only cut 2 strips? already confused and we havent even started yet.

JoAnn,
When you cut the strips, you are cutting them selvage to selvage across the width of the fabric...this should be around 42'' give or take. For this particular example you mentioned, you'll cut two of these strips 2.5'' wide. Then you cut these strips into 4.5'' wide pieces, you should be able to get 8 pieces that are 2.5x4.5'' per strip and 16 from the two strips. Does this make sense?

mysikaanne 12-23-2010 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm

You'll be fine... Cut 2 strips of Color 1. Subcut them into 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 rectangles to get 16 pieces. Don't worry we are learning, right? I knew I'd have questions. HUGS!

Missy

hlponyfarm 12-23-2010 05:26 PM

JoAnn,
When you cut the strips, you are cutting them selvage to selvage across the width of the fabric...this should be around 42'' give or take. For this particular example you mentioned, you'll cut two of these strips 2.5'' wide. Then you cut these strips into 4.5'' wide pieces, you should be able to get 8 pieces that are 2.5x4.5'' per strip and 16 from the two strips. Does this make sense?[/quote]

Candi, thank you for that explaination. that really helped.

hlponyfarm 12-23-2010 05:26 PM

Thanks!

nellie 12-24-2010 10:32 PM

i'll keep this bookmark to join the fun too,please let me know of your up coming tutorials,when will you be posting new updates

Momofthree 12-24-2010 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last night I went shopping for my fabric, I don't have a stash yet. My son helped me pick out some of the colors. I think because it is for me I am having a hard time with where to have the each color. Suggestions will be welcome.

Mystery quilt fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]147657[/ATTACH]

k9dancer 12-25-2010 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Momofthree
Last night I went shopping for my fabric, I don't have a stash yet. My son helped me pick out some of the colors. I think because it is for me I am having a hard time with where to have the each color. Suggestions will be welcome.

These fabrics will look great together.

mysikaanne 12-25-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Momofthree

OK Mom.. here we go..
Bkg- White
Color1-Dk blue
Color2-burgandy
Color3-green
color 4 light blue
accent-dk pink
2nd accent-light pink
inner border- orange
Focus- floral

Momofthree 12-26-2010 02:45 PM

Thanks for the help, I can't wait to get started!!! When are we going to get working?