Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   The Mystery of the Scant 1/4". (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/mystery-scant-1-4%22-t150279.html)

american homestead 09-05-2011 10:35 AM

My foot came with my Janome machine.

anngi 09-05-2011 11:07 AM

Does it really matter if a seam is 1/4" or scant 1/4", as long as seams are all the same width? Anngi

sylvia77 09-05-2011 11:40 AM

I'm with Lacelady. I use a 1/4 foot more so than the one with a guide.

smitty 09-05-2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by anngi
Does it really matter if a seam is 1/4" or scant 1/4", as long as seams are all the same width? Anngi

what really matters is what size your block or parts of a
block need to be. if you do a test block or strip & then measure,you will know if you need to adjust. many of you
are already sewing a scant 1/4" & don't realize it.
cut 3 strips 1 1/2" x 4". sew together lengthwise. press carefully & lightly. measure. it should be 3 1/2" wide. if wider, you need to take a larger seam allowance. if narrower, you
need to take less of a seam allowance. sometimes it is just a few threads difference & you learn to eyeball where the seam hits on the edge of your foot. I also do not like the
black,metal strip on those feet. It does not like to go over
seams evenly.
I wish pattern makers would break blocks into increments & tell you the size of each part of a block. then you know right away if you are off. Trudi Hughes always had great
directions--giving partial measurements within a block.

MoMoSews 09-05-2011 05:01 PM

I solved all the mystery with a Dritz Magnetic Seam Guide. It's a magnet that sets on the metal plate next to your foot for whatever seam allowance you want.http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-R-Seam-G.../dp/B000YZ8N6Y

SewOK 09-05-2011 08:50 PM

Ladies, as most of you probably know, the Dritz Magnetic Seam Guide should not be used on a machine that has a computer in it. I have the Pfaff Expression 4.0 and with the single stitch plate, I can move the needle to the right two clicks, which give me that scant 1/4" seam.

MiniatureQuilts 09-06-2011 07:04 AM

I also use scant 1/8" seams for my teeny tiny one inch quilt blocks. I have 1/4" special feet for both my high end Pfaff and Bernina machines. But I always use my Pfaff with its regular foot and the "needle move" feature to move the needle to the right to get it to the exact spot I need for the scant 1/4 or 1/8 seam allowances. And if I am sewing a "large" block, I often start in the middle - sew one end and then go back and sew the beginning section of the block. For me it helps the distortion of the seam allowance because I am clumsy with large blocks. Most quilters don't have this issue.

RUSewing 09-06-2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by DMotyl

Originally Posted by RUSewing
I love my 1/4" foot and had to adjust it slightly for the scant 1/4". Now my blocks come out the same size and I wouldn't be ashamed to swap them. Kudos to the inventor :)!

What company did you use for your foot?

Sorry, dunno. I bought it on eBay, but my machine is a Brother.

dltaylor 09-06-2011 11:02 AM

I have a 1/4" foot for my machine!! I would be lost without it!

karenpatrick 09-06-2011 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady

Originally Posted by american homestead
My first advice would be to get

a 1/4" seam allowance foot for

your machine. This will help with

your accuracy and it just makes it

so much easier. The photo above

is the foot for my machine, I love

the fabric guide on the bottom right,

it makes it sooo easy. These days,

you can get a 1/4" seam foot for all

sorts of machines, even older models.

I must be the only one who doesn't like that guide on the quarter inch foot - I have both, and never use the one with the guide. I prefer to eyeball the 'scant' part, even though I can move the needle over if I wanted.

I don't know why manufacturers don't make a 'scant' foot - all they need to do is to file off a tad - if not, why don't quilters get their DH's to do it for them?

I don't care for the one with the "fence" on it either. I have another one that I prefer that is open and just has a 1/4" marking on it. It seems that I cram the fabric against the "fence" so my seams are somewhat larger than a true 1/4". To each his own.