Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   OBW tutorial by Cutebuns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/obw-tutorial-cutebuns-t92503.html)

fireworkslover 01-23-2011 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by KLO

Originally Posted by misoop
KLO, I think you're right. I don't have a 60 degree cutting template, but I do have the 60 degrees on my regular rulers. But, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to use it!! Am I dumb or what? If I could figure it out, I could get on with this quilt, instead of waiting to order one. Any help or pictures to show me how to lay it correctly on the fabric. No, I just did one block to see if it would come out OK....glad I didn't cut it all using this Marti Mitchell tool....which apparently is not the correct one to use. :)

As cutebuns said, I do think there is a spot on her tutorial that shows how to line up the regular ruler. If I remember right, you put the 60 degree line that is indicated on your ruler along the bottom edge of you fabric strips and cut one side of the 60 degree triangle. Then line the other 60 degree line up again on the bottom edge (hope your ruler is like mine where it had criss crossing 60 degree lines labeled) and that should give you your finished 60 degree triangle (you will be cutting the opposite direction of the first cut). Not sure that this is very clear so I would highly suggest checking out cutebuns tutorial as she put together one heck of a photo tute. Good luck and hope this helps at least a little. (By the way, it's not necessary to buy a new ruler if you have the one with the 60 degree lines on it. Save you $$$ for fabric!!!

This is right. This is how I've cut all my 60 degree triangles for the 4 OBWs I've made. Just work your way down the strip stack, flipping the ruler back and forth to cut 2 sides of the triangles (the third side is the bottom of the strip). Be cautious to not cut thru a pin.

auntmarie 01-23-2011 05:44 AM

I took a class in this last year at our local quilthing shop. I spent a lot of money on material. The class was about 4 hrs. long with only one instructor. None of us could finish this quilt in class . I left confused and angry. I never went back to that store nor ever bought more material there.
Any way, thanks for the tut.

Tweety2911 01-23-2011 06:38 AM

Thanks so much for the PDF tute. I do have fabric for this project, just need to finish up the UFO's first.

KLO 01-23-2011 06:43 AM

Thanks, everyone for your help. I did several searches on here, and finally found www.lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com which had a picture of putting painters tape on the 60* line and where to place that line, etc. Finally!!! I can now get on with my quilt of valor.....can't wait to see how this turns out in patriotic fabric.

Wondered why you were using flag fabric for this OBW.
Bless you for making a Quilt of Valor. I hope this all goes smoothly for you. Cannot wait to see the results. Someone is going to be very lucky to receive the quilt made by you!!!

GrannyLady 01-23-2011 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by gzuslivz

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
i just wish i had cutebuns instead of saggybuns :lol: :lol: that is a great tute

Have you seen the movie "Calender Girls". My favorite quote is "We're going to need considerably bigger buns!" If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.

I love that movie and that is a great quote!

misoop 01-23-2011 09:44 AM

Thanks, KLO....I will try to post a picture of my QOV when finished....if it doesn't turn out to be a disaster. :) I had this patriotic flag fabric, that I just couldn't see doing anything with it, until I thought about the Stack & Whack. I've made one QoV quilt, and I'm happy to make another one. I have a former student of mine, who just finished 20 yrs in the Army...he's only 40 now! He's leaving Afghanistan in May and coming to see us when he gets back in US. I want to have this quilt ready for him. I'm so proud of him and his service!!

WVNana 01-23-2011 12:10 PM

Thank you so much. I loved your material choices!!!! Thanks again.
Bev

mrsmail 01-23-2011 06:29 PM

Thanks. Looks like a lot of work and a lot of thinking. My thinker doesn't always work so good. Think I'll wait awhile.

kclausing 01-24-2011 06:08 AM

I am working on my FIRST stack and whack! Please check out my photos.....something is wrong! They are not going to sew together properly....looks too small. I used a Quilt Sense triangle cutting on the 5 in line. Maybe not the correct template??? Help, please.

Yep, I made the same mistake on mine. Wrong triangle. It has to be a 60 degree angle. But you will find if you turn 2 of the triangles upside down, they will fit together as 2 rows of 3. The pattern won't match up as you intended, but at least you won't waste fabric.

DJ 01-24-2011 06:38 AM

Thank you both!