Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Piecing the Apple Core or "Double bit ax" by hand (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/piecing-apple-core-double-bit-ax-hand-t175506.html)

GailG 01-14-2012 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 4873377)
I am working on an applecore too, BUT, I have a GO die cutter for the cutting of these pieces--it is so precise and I am using a sewing machine to piece it........just as much fun and I agree it is a fun way to use scraps........oh, and I will machine quilt it when done.........it will be a queen size..... along with the scraps I have put in two lines of white cores to give it a kind of inside white border....saw it in a mag last year.........like the way it looks, works in quarters, then they are put together to make the large bed quilt.

Great tute, #1piecemaker!! That's a lot of hand stitching. I have question for Geri B: For machine stitching, which curve do you put on the bottom? I am not a friend of sewing curved seams and it's a technique I'd like to learn.

#1piecemaker 01-14-2012 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Weenween (Post 4872987)
Thanks a heap I am going to try it my maternal late grandmother pieced her baby son one years ago,she has been gone since 1977 I just love it.In hers they were no 2 blocks exactly the same.She saved every little bit of fabric.No wasting with her.Thanks a million I really mean it.

You are welcome and Good luck! I'd like to see it when its finished!

#1piecemaker 01-14-2012 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 4873377)
I am working on an applecore too, BUT, I have a GO die cutter for the cutting of these pieces--it is so precise and I am using a sewing machine to piece it........just as much fun and I agree it is a fun way to use scraps........oh, and I will machine quilt it when done.........it will be a queen size..... along with the scraps I have put in two lines of white cores to give it a kind of inside white border....saw it in a mag last year.........like the way it looks, works in quarters, then they are put together to make the large bed quilt.

thanks Geri B. I like the idea of putting white blocks around the outside! Great idea!

#1piecemaker 01-14-2012 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by primbears (Post 4874353)
Love it. Have you seen it in a larger apple core? Fantastic. Saw it in Bountiful Utah in30's fabrics and it is darling. Owner told me she got the pattern off the internet. Found it and am going to do it. Fun quilt.

I haven't seen the big one. I'll have to hunt that one down. Thanks

Bobbielinks 01-14-2012 02:28 PM

your applycore quilts are very lovely. I hope to make one using all plaids one of these years. Until then, I'll just have to admire them here on the board.

needles3thread 01-14-2012 06:54 PM

Sunlitensmiles, I love your avatar. Please show larger pic & tell us about. Your colors are the greatest for this pattern.

NannieBS 01-14-2012 09:12 PM

i AM A NEWBIE TO QUILTING SOOO CAN U EXPLAIN In MORE DETAIL AND WHAT IS AN APPLE CORE QUILT? THANKS

glorcour 01-15-2012 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker (Post 4871418)
Me too! Here is a picture of my last one.[ATTACH=CONFIG]302815[/ATTACH]

Simply amazing. I made one, but very small because I got tired of hand sewing. Love yours

Ginny B 01-15-2012 06:40 AM

Uh oh, I see something new being added to my WIP's. I have lots of apple decor in my kitchen (from my days as a Preschool teacher) so I'm seeing a tablerunner or placemats in my future. And I love having handwork to do while watching tv with dh at night. Thanks for the tute and the idea. :)

pls1946 01-15-2012 10:46 AM

Very interesting...and helpful!