Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Prairie Queen Block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/prairie-queen-block-t175748.html)

cedarvalleyquilts 01-15-2012 02:47 PM

Prairie Queen Block

2 Attachment(s)
I'm working on a king-sized quilt with Prairie Queen blocks from my large collection of Civil War fat quarters, and I thought I'd share my block with anyone who might be interested. I'd seen some PQ blocks on this site, but mine is just a little bit different.

To make a 10-inch Prairie Queen block, you will need 3 fabrics: A dark for center square and half-square triangles; a light background fabric; a dark coordinating fabric that will be part of the 4-patch block. Fat quarters work great for this block.

From your dark fabric, cut two 4-1/4-inch squares (used for half-square triangles) and one 3-6/8-inch square (for the center square). From your background fabric, cut 1 strip 1-5/8-inch by 13-1/2 inches. Cut two 4-1/4-inch squares (for half-square triangles). Cut eight 2-1/2-inch squares. From your third fabric, cut 1 strip 1-5/8 inch by 13-1/2 inches.

On the backside of your two 4-1/4-inch background squares, lightly mark a line from corner to corner. Then lightly mark 1/4 inch on either side of that center mark. Put your background and dark 4-1/4-inch squares together with right sides facing. Pin to secure.

Sew on each outside marked line...you will cut on the center line after sewing each outside line. Press these half-square triangles open, pressing toward the dark fabric.

Next, take your 1-5/8 inch by 13-1/2 inch background and fabric #3 strips and put them right sides together. Sew strips together and press open toward the darker fabric. Cut this strip into eight 1-5/8-inch pieces.

Take 2 of these pieces and put right sides together, making sure seams line up, and sew together to make your 4-patch square. Repeat with remaining pieces.

Next, cut the 2-1/2-inch background squares in half to make 2 half-triangles from each block.

Take one background half-triangle and sew it to one side of the 4-patch square. Press seam open. Take another background half-triangle and sew it to the opposite side of the same 4-patch square. Press seam open. Repeat sewing background half-triangles to remaining 2 sides of the 4-patch. Press seams open after adding each triangle.

Lay out your pieces as shown in the picture. Join pieces to make 3 rows. Sew rows together to make Prairie Queen block. Trim if necessary to make 10-inch block.

My blog has pictures for each step...I couldn't figure out how to insert each picture with each step here, so if you be sure to visit my blog if step-by-step pictures will help you see the block better.

Christine

Junie 01-15-2012 08:08 PM

These blocks are pretty

BETTY62 01-15-2012 08:43 PM

I love those blocks. Your quilt will be beautiful. I look forward to seeing a picture of the finished quilt.

QM 01-15-2012 08:47 PM

looking good.

azam 01-15-2012 08:49 PM

Love your blocks, they're very pretty!

pls1946 01-16-2012 05:24 AM

Beautiful blocks!!

GrandmaLiz 01-16-2012 06:47 AM

When I google "Prairie Queen Quilt Block", I find a different design. I like yours better. Thanks for the tute.

BettyGee 01-16-2012 06:49 AM

Thank you so much for sharing. The blocks are gorgeous. Be sure to post the finished quilt, okay?

janiesews 01-16-2012 07:31 AM

Very pretty blocks.

fmhall2 01-16-2012 08:51 AM

Your blocks are very pretty, and I love the fabrics.