Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Quick & Easy Mitered Corners by Request (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quick-easy-mitered-corners-request-t60160.html)

grann of 6 08-19-2010 05:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Let's see if I can do this right. Some of the pictures are a little fuzzy but you can get the idea.
1. Cut backing fabric 1" larger than batting and quilt front. Press in half to meet quilt front.
2. place miter tool so lines meet edges of quilt front. Draw line across the edge. Fold right sides together, pin as needed.
3.Stitch from edge to point, locking stitches at beginning.
4. Trim. Finger press fold open, turn right side out. Point turner helps here. Steam seam and corner flat.
5. Stitch, pivoting with needle in the seam you just created. Voila! Perfect mitered corner.

folded to meet front. Place miter tool
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99390[/ATTACH]

Stitch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99391[/ATTACH]

Trim excess 1/4" from stitching
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99392[/ATTACH]

bmanley 08-19-2010 05:19 AM

Yea, thank you so much. I have this tool but never have used it yet because I just couldn't figure it out (even with instructions) dud!!! I truly appreciate it. I have gotton so many good instructions from this site. :thumbup: Have a nice day.

littlehud 08-19-2010 05:46 AM

I'm getting that tool and trying that. It looks wonderful.

GrammaO 08-19-2010 01:20 PM

Does it only work if you use the backing as your binding or does it work the same if you use binding strips? I've never seen the tool before, it looks handy. The finished corner is beautiful. Thanks for the tutorial!

grann of 6 08-19-2010 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaO
Does it only work if you use the backing as your binding or does it work the same if you use binding strips? I've never seen the tool before, it looks handy. The finished corner is beautiful. Thanks for the tutorial!

The only problem I see with using binding strips is that yoy would have the added bulk of a seam in the corner. But you could try it and see if it works. I use the traditional method when using strips. I have that down to a science too.

plainpat 08-20-2010 09:30 AM

I'd like to see pics of the other method too Thanks.Mitered never works for me.Your binding is perfect ! I use the traditional method when using strips.

I have that down to a science too.[/quote]

AlienQuilter 08-20-2010 11:51 AM

Good tutorial!

I use this method with my 6" X 24" ruler. Your method would be a lot easier.

Carol W 08-21-2010 03:18 AM

I really need to get that miter tool. Your corners look great!!!

grann of 6 08-21-2010 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Carol W
I really need to get that miter tool. Your corners look great!!!

I'm sure you could make one out of template plastic, but since money isn't that much of an issue for me, and time is, I would rather just buy what works for me. Besides I love sewing gadgets. That miter tool seemed expensive at the time, but since mitering was always such a problem for me I felt it was worth it. And now that I have it I use it all the time.

plainpat 08-21-2010 05:01 AM

Thanks for your miter tool review.I like hearing about quilting stuff before buying.

I'm sure you could make one out of template plastic, but since money isn't that much of an issue for me, and time is, I would rather just buy what works for me. Besides I love sewing gadgets. That miter tool seemed expensive at the time, but since mitering was always such a problem for me I felt it was worth it. And now that I have it I use it all the time.[/quote]