Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Quick Machine Binding with Flange (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quick-machine-binding-flange-t77821.html)

seweasy 12-06-2010 07:05 AM

Its like framing a picture, just one layer of colored mat board is fine but add a second layer just under the wider top mat and the picture just pops.
Thanks so much for posting this tutorial, I'm going to use this technique on the baby quilt I'm working. Chris

cag1949 12-11-2010 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
that is aweome, thanks for sharing with us

Yes, thank you! :thumbup: :thumbup:

peppermint31 12-13-2010 09:04 AM

I am in the process of trying that now and so far I believe that you have to be careful with the measurements so the part that shows isn't too large

peppermint31 12-13-2010 10:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by peppermint31
I am in the process of trying that now and so far I believe that you have to be careful with the measurements so the part that shows isn't too large

here are some pictures. My binding is uneven and I found that the sewing on the back goes on & off the binding. Also would iron the seam toward the smaller strip I think. Will have to play with this on the next quilt binding to see what I like better

Laura22 12-13-2010 10:25 AM

this method is new to me, very cool, thanks for sharing :)

seweasy 12-18-2010 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!Chrisma, Thanks so much for posting this technique. Your tutorial was very clear and easy to understand. It made this baby quilt so much more interesting. I used a cloth book panel for the blocks, a Mother Goose panel.
The only problem( and maybe this could be another tutorial) I had was doing the "stitch in ditch" as the final step. I couldn't get a even and straight line of stitching. I know it was because the border was stitched on slightly crooked and so the stitching isn't going to be straight. After a few tries, I eventually hand-stitched the flange from underneath so the stitching doesn't show.
Just wanted to show it off! Have a Merry Christmas, Chris

yolanda 01-04-2011 09:07 AM

I have seen quite a few tutorials on doing the binding with 'fake piping' or flanges but the strips are all different sizes. My longarm quilter uses 1 & 2" strips. I tried the sizes you list here and LOVE them they are perfect. So much so that I bought two custom strip dies in these sizes -- I have a studio cutter and a shoulder still recovering from surgery so the less rotary for me the better. This is absolutely my method of choice for binding!

If anyone would like binding strips cut to size please PM me!!!

ilovetosew 01-15-2011 07:52 PM

I like this and I might use it sometime.
Janie

dollycaswell 02-02-2011 10:56 AM

Is this technique done with the two different pieces cut on the BIAS and then attached as usual?

PWinston 02-02-2011 11:19 AM

Wow, can't wait to try this. Glad that it reappeared in the postings since I joined the QB after the initial post and would have missed it. Thanks for sharing.