Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Quick strips w/ 1/4" ruler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quick-strips-w-1-4%22-ruler-t130205.html)

just_the_scraps_m'am 06-13-2011 11:14 AM

4 Attachment(s)
here is how i use my 1/4" to measure strips.

here's your strip; line up the right side of fabric with the length of strip you need--in the photo, it is 8"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210971[/ATTACH]

add any template {larger than strip} & butt it up against your 1/4" ruler
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210972[/ATTACH]

align marks on template to edge of strip to achieve a straight cut{also referred to as "squaring up"}
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210973[/ATTACH]

remove the 1/4" ruler & CUT against the square! YOU did it! there's your 8" strip!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210978[/ATTACH]

just_the_scraps_m'am 06-13-2011 11:24 AM

now all you need to do is SLIDE the fabric strip to the right & repeat, until you have cut the sizes you need.
this method {with the 1/4 " ruler} is used to cut strips because it is less bulky than a larger ruler & easier to maneuver it on fabrics strips, & also easier to transport, when working outside the home.

amma 06-13-2011 01:45 PM

Thank you for this tute :D:D:D

dreamgirl 06-14-2011 04:42 AM

I bought the 1/4" ruler, but haven't used it yet. Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

MS quilter 06-14-2011 05:46 AM

How smart are you! Thanks!

sheliab12 06-14-2011 08:45 AM

This is where I always run into trouble. You have to assume or know that the edges are straight on the sides. I have so much trouble getting the fabric squared up in the first place. I have read everything on here, watched all kinds of tutorials but when I get done it will be just a little off. You have to fold it straight line it up straight hold the ruler straight,cut straight. Then when I pick it up somewhere in that process I messed up. I can do it if someone squares the pc first for me.

just_the_scraps_m'am 06-14-2011 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by sheliab12
This is where I always run into trouble. You have to assume or know that the edges are straight on the sides. I have so much trouble getting the fabric squared up in the first place. I have read everything on here, watched all kinds of tutorials but when I get done it will be just a little off. You have to fold it straight line it up straight hold the ruler straight,cut straight. Then when I pick it up somewhere in that process I messed up. I can do it if someone squares the pc first for me.

have you put the template/square you are using inside of a Tsquare to check its "squareness?" maybe by some odd chance the ruler you are using is off--it is possible--!
i can show in a photo how to do this if i confused you!

just_the_scraps_m'am 06-14-2011 11:28 AM

another reason your cuts may be inaccurate, would be the possibility of your template being warped or left in the heat/sun. if you press down on your template to cut fabric, & it is warped, the opposite side will be up in the air, & your fabric will/can move...it's ez to miss if you're just cutting right along...and not paying attention {like me}!

phatquilts2 06-14-2011 04:20 PM

Some of my rulers will need to be replaced pretty soon. With use, eventually the corners are "off" & no longer square [at least for me].

oksewglad 06-14-2011 09:49 PM

I found my large 6 x 24" ruler had a worn spot along the long side. When I cut strips, the center (between the 12-18" markings) had a slight dip. New ruler-straight strips:-). Got the frosted Olfa ruler and love it!