Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   quick way to create half square triangles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quick-way-create-half-square-triangles-t74134.html)

quiltgrammyt2 01-13-2011 08:55 AM

Never seen this done before. :thumbup:
Think I'll have to try it soon,thanks. :D :D

honeybee_2000 01-14-2011 10:12 AM

I couldnt believe how easy this was..as a beginner this was a big help..:)

Originally Posted by oma66
I am sure that most of you have seen this method of creating half square triangles, but perhaps those new to quilting have not. the pictures below, I hope, show how it is done very clearly. I made enough half square triangles for a full size quilt in one long afternoon - that includes cutting, sewing, ironing and squaring up the blocks.

nan 01-16-2011 11:42 AM

Are all these triangles double fabric? How do you sew them together, so the seam is on one side? What if the other pieces are not doubled, does that not matter?

oma66 01-16-2011 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by nan
Are all these triangles double fabric? How do you sew them together, so the seam is on one side? What if the other pieces are not doubled, does that not matter?

Yes, the triangles are double fabric. I began with 9 1/2 inch squares. Lay . two squares,of contrasting fabrics, right sides together and sew around all four sides. Cut on the diagonal from top left to bottom right and from top right to bottom left. Open and press seams to the dark and you now have 4 HST's. If you have a hard time working with bias edges, cut out your squares with point, on your template or ruler, on the straight of grain.

You can cut the squares alone, without the two squares facing if you just want to cut out triangles. In this method you are getting half square triangles and not just triangles.

Hope I have answered your question, if not I will take some more photos doing the process again for you.

grandmaquilting 01-16-2011 06:07 PM

If you cut your original squares on the bias, then the final squares would not have sides on teh bias.

chairjogger 01-16-2011 06:09 PM

Cool !

nan 01-17-2011 01:15 PM

Okay, so when you cut the square diagonally that is your triangle. Once cut you have access to press the seams making the rightsides out (or wrong sides together) and now you can sew the triangles together easier because they're doubled? That seems like extra work. Do you do that with all your pieces. You obviously know I am a beginner. Thank you for your quick response too!

sewmuchmore 01-17-2011 02:55 PM

I may give this a try. Thank you for sharing I must go a buy some starch. :P :P

mcbride4362 01-20-2011 05:26 AM

This is a great tute. I am new to quilting and love how simple this looks. Thanks so much!

gramma8 01-20-2011 10:06 PM

Okay - I am not a whiz at math - I do better if the instructions are right in front of me. I need 2 1/2 in sq.s
So, if I want the square to end up 2 1/2 inches with 2 half square triangles together, how do I measure the first squares that I sew together. I'm getting more confused by the minute.

This is the problem I have mostly - can someone help me simplify the measurments and cutting?