Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   quick way to create half square triangles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quick-way-create-half-square-triangles-t74134.html)

oma66 11-05-2010 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
One could cut the squares "on the diagonal" or "on point" and then sew them - then when cut, they would have "straight" edges

this is a great idea and I will certainly try this on my next quilt. Thanks so much. Don't you just love the exchange of ideas?

oma66 11-05-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by loya99
Great idea Oma (I could never get my GD to call me that, she does call DH Opa though). Were your squares 9.5 inches? I think I might have just figured out what my next quilt will be. Thank you for the inspiration.

yes, my sqs. are 9.5 " and my hst block was 6.5"

nance-ell 11-05-2010 06:35 PM

I saw that method in a Missouri Quilt Company tutorial on you-tube. Tried it and loved it! Really quick... but did have to watch the stretch of material. Starch is a good idea... I'll do that next time.

oma66 11-05-2010 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by fmd36
Perhapsed I missed it,but what is the size of your original square? I am math challenged but I would need to know this. Would'nt different sized squares produce different sized triangles. (DUH?)

Jan22 on page 3 gives a list of the different sizes. I began with 9.5 sqs. and ended up with a each section of the block being 6.5 hst block. When 4 of these are put together as shown in the photos I posted, it creates a 12.5 block.

oma66 11-05-2010 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by debbieoh
Is there a chart somewhere to know how big of squares to use for different sizes of half square Triangles

jan22 on page 3 has posted a list of the different sizes. She has saved us a lot of trouble figuaring it all out. Thanks Jan22

kathidahl 11-05-2010 07:25 PM

Wow, I love this...I am and old sew and sew, but new at quilting and like to see short cuts.

karate lady 11-05-2010 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by oma66
I am sure that most of you have seen this method of creating half square triangles, but perhaps those new to quilting have not. the pictures below, I hope, show how it is done very clearly. I made enough half square triangles for a full size quilt in one long afternoon - that includes cutting, sewing, ironing and squaring up the blocks.

thanks this is a big help. but what kind of starch do you use????? spray???

Loretta 11-05-2010 07:43 PM

I'm going to try this. Thanks.

Cuddly Quilter 11-05-2010 07:52 PM

Thank you very much for sharing. I have myself just learnt this technique. Oh my gosh the time i WOULD HAVE SAVED years ago if i had known this. Love your material you used. Happy sewing further

GailG 11-05-2010 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Qbee
OK...why have I never seen this before?? That is TOO COOL!

This is a neat technique. I think I've seen a video on Missouri Star Quilt Co. on this technique. How do you judge the size of the cut starting square?