Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Quilting Fabrics Painted with Lumiere Metallic Paint Tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quilting-fabrics-painted-lumiere-metallic-paint-tutorial-t295143.html)

Watson 02-28-2018 03:41 AM

Quilting Fabrics Painted with Lumiere Metallic Paint Tutorial

1 Attachment(s)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589962[/ATTACH]

This is a pretty straightforward technique.
I used Lumiere Metallic fabric paint. I didn't water it down because they said that it tends to flake if you do so it goes on pretty thick.

I chose the picture and then traced it onto the black background cotton fabric, using a window as a lightbox and a white quilt marker.

I then painted in all the areas, leaving a bit of space between each one where the fabric shows through, sort of like stained glass leading.

This took several days. A lot longer than I thought it was going to as the paint is very thick and goes on slowly.

Be sure to wash your brushes ASAP because it will turn them to rock. Also, use a plastic throwaway container to mix your paints on, as I originally did it on a china saucer and had a heck of a time getting the paint off.

I let the piece dry for 24 hours and then put paper towels over it and heat set it with a hot iron.

I double batted it so the quilting would show up better and used a sample to get the tension right when I changed threads.

I then outlined it with black Decobob and used purple Decobob to outline quilt all the coloured areas. I used Black King Tut on the mane. I used an 18/10 needle.

It wasn't hard to sew through the paint at all. Just be sure you have a fresh needle.

There are sample packs of Lumiere that you can buy rather than buying full sizes of the paint. That's what I bought. I bought mine from Dharma Trading Co. They also have some info on using it.

If you go to HelenGodden.com you will see all kinds of beautiful examples that will inspire you.

Any questions, please ask!

Watson

QuiltnNan 02-28-2018 03:54 AM

thanks for taking the time to do the tutorial

SHELTIE'SMAMA 02-28-2018 06:57 AM

Wow, that's a process but the effect is certainly worth the effort.

Macybaby 02-28-2018 07:50 AM

Thanks for the info, I'm going to be buying some paint now!

copycat 03-01-2018 03:31 AM

Painting on fabric is on my bucket list...Thanks for the wonderful info. :)

San Luis 03-01-2018 09:52 AM

Thank you, thank you! My Jacquard Luminiere paints arrived yesterday. I'm still in the drawing part of my imagination, but this is exactly what I've envisioned! So happy to read about and see your beautiful results. So, you painted first then quilted? Most You tube tutorials show quilting first, then painting. Amazon carries the paints, but were shipped from Dick Blick art supply. I'm forcing myself to finish my current project before I start my fabric painting.

Watson 03-01-2018 10:04 AM

I painted first, but perhaps it depends whether you're a better painter or FMQ'er. I'm definitely a better FMQ'er!

Helen Godden paints first, then quilts.

One detail I left out of the tutorial is that I ironed freezer paper to the back of my fabric before I started to give it some body and make sure it didn't stretch and then removed it before doing the heat setting.

Wow! Sounds like there are going to be a lot of examples of fabric painting/quilting showing up. Can't wait.

Watson

llong0233 03-01-2018 11:21 AM

I Watson. This piece is almost as beautiful as the horse in your avatar. Nicely done.

Billy'swife 03-01-2018 08:43 PM

Painting on fabric is something I've been wanting to do! Thanks for your inspiration and the tutorial!!

meanmom 03-02-2018 05:22 PM

Wow Watson this is beautiful. You do the most amazing work.