Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Rhonda's Boston Blocks Tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/rhondas-boston-blocks-tutorial-t38879.html)

Rhonda 03-07-2010 12:12 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I have been quilting for 30 years. Over that time I have developed some shortcuts that I like to share.

Now some may say why are you sharing this as it was in the Boston Book I had to buy. Well the Bookmark tutorial that was put on the Quilted Paradise Newsletter was a free introduction to the Boston Book. My "Blocks" are only included as they are needed but the book is more about how to use the block rather than the directions to make the block. So I am offering the free "Block" Tute here for my Boston Blocks. This one was named by me because it goes to make up a Boston Star quilt block. It can be used to make all sorts of quilt blocks.

If you want to know more about anything you see here just pm me or use my email address in my signature to send me an email.

Introduction to my Cut Down Method

The cut down means you sew fabric together and then you cut out a square from the center with a template.

The BOSTON BLOCK

Cut two swatches larger than half of the size of your template. Then sew them together. One light and one medium value color.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1054[/ATTACH]

Cut a straight edge and then sew the dark swatch onto the bottom of the joined swatches
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1119[/ATTACH]

Lay the joined fabric on a mini mat and cut out the square. Rotate the mat after each cut til you have all four sides cut out. Make sure the template doesn't move and make sure you cut close to the template as accurately as possible.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1320[/ATTACH]

Cut a swatch as long as the two joined fabric and as wide as half of your template on point.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1366[/ATTACH]

Lay your template on the joined fabric and match two opposite corners on the template with the seam.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1389[/ATTACH]

Rhonda 03-07-2010 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the finished Boston Block!!!

Rhonda 03-07-2010 12:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tip:

If your block is not quite square after you cut- trim the corners carefully.

Tip:

I use a 1 1/2" acrylic template for most of my projects. You can use whatever size you need for the project or quilt block you are making. I like to cut a small strip of sand paper and glue it on the back of the template out of the way(not on any lines in the center) Templates are available on my online site if you can't find the size you want.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make up a lot of these in lots of color combinations and lay them out on your work table. Experiment with placement and color arrangements to get designs you like.

Use them in my projects or use them in any quilt block. If you look at traditional quilt blocks you can see where this method can be used in place of the traditional way of cutting out squares and triangles and then sewing them together. Card trick can be made this way and of course the Boston Star quilt block. Look at my Boston Block Quilt Blocks page and see other quilt blocks using this "block".

My cut down method saves time and effort especially if you do all the steps in an assembly line fashion and cut out lots of blocks at one time.

Any left over scraps can be pulled apart and reused in the next "blocks". I never waste anything. I make blocks in 1" and 1 1/4" sizes also. The 1" go into my keychains and the 1 1/4" goes into checkbook covers and eyeglass cases and billfolds as well as mini quilts and bookmarks.

These 'blocks' are a great way to use up scraps!

YOU CAN USE ANY SIZE TEMPLATE TO MAKE THE SIZE QUILT BLOCK YOU WANT!
Have fun!!!!! Rhonda

BOSTON STAR QUILT BLOCK
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1321[/ATTACH]

The way to lay out the "Blocks" to sew them together into the Quilt Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1322[/ATTACH]

danmar 03-08-2010 01:47 AM

Thank you Rhonda.

Moncia 03-09-2010 12:15 AM

Thanks!

ann clare 04-15-2010 01:27 PM

you are gifted

Rhonda 04-15-2010 02:00 PM

Thanks Ann

SaraSewing 04-15-2010 02:52 PM

I shared this with a couple of quilter guild ladies who knew everything. They were very impressed with your skill! They had seen the tiny quilt I made for a doll house and asked me. "Well", I say, "There is this lady Rhonda who has a method. . . ."

Rhonda 04-15-2010 02:55 PM

Thank you Sara for the compliments! I do enjoy the good feedback! You'll have to get these ladies to join the board!

Gramof6 04-17-2010 05:01 PM

WOW! Color me ever color of impressed! I am amazed and want to try this technique. Thank You for the tutorials. Have thoroughly enjoyed it. :thumbup: