Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Scrap Rug (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/scrap-rug-t10783.html)

kasmitty1 01-24-2010 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cande
I'd love to make a couple for my kitchen but wondering how big I would be able to make it with an ordinary sewing machine. It wouldn't be able to be rolled like you would a quilt: at least, not as much. I'm still waiting for pictures to see what others have done..

The bulk of the rug always stay on the outside. I started mine and went ooops, so I had to "flip" it after the first couple of rows because had I continued, the bulk would have been on the inside. I'm not sure if I'm making sense.

But for better or worse this is my first one. (Can someone tell me if I used the right stitch?) This is my machine's "zig-zag". It doesn't look like the same one in the tutorial.

I had fun, though! :)

dkabasketlady 01-24-2010 08:18 PM

I've made more rugs than quilts. I use a clothespin instead of a straight pin, it acts as an extra hand. I roll up my extra fabric first so I don't have to stop and do this. It's faster and easier for me when switching fabrics or just using the same fabric for one rug.

dkabasketlady 01-24-2010 08:20 PM

They are machine washable, but don't put them in the dryer.

Nursesews 01-25-2010 03:51 AM

Love your rug!!! Great job :thumbup:

Ms Grace 01-25-2010 06:03 AM

I love the colors!
It's great. :-D

craftiladi 01-25-2010 03:40 PM

To make it oval I would think if you start the center a longer fold that would make it more oval...still need to find the time to do this.

lorie 01-29-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by kasmitty1

Originally Posted by ToucanSam

Originally Posted by lorie
you can order it online walmart.

I tried to search for it on their site, no luck. Have you been able to find it online there? If so, do you have a link?

I got mine at Ace hardware (it's not mainstays, though). It's all cotton and so far I have about half my rug done and the needle is going through it just fine.

Go to nancy's notions or walgreens.

lorie 01-29-2010 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
They are machine washable, but don't put them in the dryer.

Graet tip!!!! :thumbup:

purplemem 01-29-2010 09:15 AM

I just ordered some online from ebay. Our walgreens here didn't carry it, neither did Dollar Tree or Walmart. It was $9 incl shipping. That seemed high to me. Is this the cost I should expect?

lorie 01-29-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ToucanSam

you can order it online walmart.

I tried to search for it on their site, no luck. Have you been able to find it online there? If so, do you have a link?

It would be in their fabric department. If not I will find you a site.Okay?!!! :thumbup:
Dont give up!!!

Nancy's Notions good luck and I saw some at Walgreen.