Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Strip Work done with my Cut Down Method (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/strip-work-done-my-cut-down-method-t128201.html)

Rhonda 06-07-2011 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by natalieg
Your tutorial is awesome! Thanks for sharing all the great ideas with us! Makes me wanna go and play in my scraps!

I sometimes get in the mood to try to use as much of my fabric for a quilt as possible. And every now and then, I manage to hit the nail on the head!
Then, there are other times that I can't get my head out of the box and just do what is called for. In this Warm Wishes quilt top, I had plenty of left-over strip blocks because I was originally going to make it larger. I cut the blocks down and made diagonals and chopped, sewed and chopped some more to add these borders!
It was so much fun! I wish I had a creative enough mind to do this all the time.

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Thanks everyone! I am glad you can use the ideas!

I love what you did with the border! The colors are really pretty!

kathymarie 06-07-2011 06:58 AM

Very nice...thank you....what a wonderful way to use extra strips left over from projects. I'm always looking for reasons not to throw fabric scraps away!

PamB8s 06-07-2011 07:46 AM

Lovin these tutorials :) thanks so much. Being new to quilting, these tut's help soooo much :)

tryitall 06-07-2011 08:34 AM

Thanks Rhonds! This is a great idea!!

oksewglad 06-07-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by kathymarie
Very nice...thank you....what a wonderful way to use extra strips left over from projects. I'm always looking for reasons not to throw fabric scraps away!

I find I have narrow strips left over after trimming a quilt before binding. These would work great with this method and if you wanted to be a little wonky don't worry about cutting them precisely! HMM maybe I should try it.

PattyS 06-07-2011 05:40 PM

Thanks for showing me what to do with my extra stips I have cut already.

Rhonda 06-07-2011 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad

Originally Posted by kathymarie

I find I have narrow strips left over after trimming a quilt before binding. These would work great with this method and if you wanted to be a little wonky don't worry about cutting them precisely! HMM maybe I should try it.

Sounds good to me! It's a natural! Good way to use them up. I had a lady send me some leftovers from her quilt one time and wanted me to do something with them. The strips were 5/8" wide. I used a scant 1/8th and sewed them all in strip sets and made a checkbook cover and bookmarks with them for her. It was a challenge and I loved it! A scant 1/8th sounds like it wouldn't hold but if you open the seams and iron it gives the seam more stability. Less chance to ravel out. I used to use 1/8th on all my billfolds when I did pieced fronts on them with the finished squares being 1/4".

tutty 06-07-2011 06:34 PM

How creative of you ! thank you

DonnaB 06-07-2011 08:25 PM

Great ideas Rhonda, I think you have inspired us all.

The Quiet Quilter 06-07-2011 11:03 PM

What a wealth of information
and ideas. Thanks so much for
sharing. I have a lot of strips
I was saving. Now I can begin
to use them. THANKS! You're
amazing!! Hugs, Sharon