Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html)

kathymarie 06-07-2011 07:00 AM

Neato! A friend just sent me two beautiful batik jelly rolls....this sounds like so much fun!

kathymarie 06-07-2011 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by baubo1234
Wow!! Now I know what to make with the jelly rolls I have. I wonder if it would work as well with bali cuts? It should, shouldn't it? Hmmm, I wonder how many I have. I guess I need to go on a search of my sewing room.

Thank you for this great idea.

I like the way you think! A friend just sent me two of them....I can hardly wait to get started!

kathymarie 06-07-2011 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by bevonthebay
It might be fun to stop at 8 rows together, then cut them in 16 1/2 " lengths. You could sew them across (vertical/horizontal, vertical), then the 2nd row (horizontal, vertical, horizontal) Would that work? Sort of a checkerboard for chess board effect. You could improvise on this one in many ways. Bev

This sounds like a great idea....or to put narrow strips of a high contrast between each section....

kathymarie 06-07-2011 07:06 AM

It might be fun to stop at 8 rows together, then cut them in 16 1/2 " lengths. You could sew them across (vertical/horizontal, vertical), then the 2nd row (horizontal, vertical, horizontal) Would that work? Sort of a checkerboard for chess board effect. You could improvise on this one in many ways. Bev

This sounds like a great idea....or to put narrow strips of a high contrast between each section....

burnsk 06-07-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by kathymarie

That works. I did it and it came out cute. Nice variation on a rail fence.

burnsk 06-07-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by kathymarie

Oops - sorry, double post. System hiccupped and I got an error message that it couldn't open the page.

lnlwhitt 06-14-2011 03:06 AM

I'm just wondering about cutting on the fold when you sew the long side, how do you keep it a straight cut if you're cutting a loop? Do you trim the entire quilt top edges when you are done?
Thanks

omak 06-14-2011 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by lnlwhitt
I'm just wondering about cutting on the fold when you sew the long side, how do you keep it a straight cut if you're cutting a loop? Do you trim the entire quilt top edges when you are done?
Thanks

I have seen quilters try to find the exact middle of the strip from the beginning! Doesn't look manageable.
I did just fold the ends together and start sewing them. When I got about ten inches from the end, I just guesstimated and cut (easier on the first steps than the last couple).
I don't know that it would really hurt anything to stitch the whole strip and then use a rotary cutter and ruler to trim of the most minimum of the loop.
Otherwise, you are correct - - you must trim the edges - - unless you are VERY brave and just cut strips for a border and use those straight edges to determine the last edge. The five quilts we created at the Project Linus (back a few pages) sew-in were done without trimming ... (not so brave, just not very good about being exact). I think they turned out well, since most of the edges didn't turn out to be all that uneven. <wave>

burnsk 06-14-2011 09:20 AM

After sewing the strip together I lay the fold end on my cutting board. With rotary cutter and ruler I cut just barely a 1/16" off the folded end so I'm not wasting fabric. I found that easier than trying to slit the fold with scissors and it's a straight edge. Hope this helps.

omak 06-15-2011 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by burnsk
After sewing the strip together I lay the fold end on my cutting board. With rotary cutter and ruler I cut just barely a 1/16" off the folded end so I'm not wasting fabric. I found that easier than trying to slit the fold with scissors and it's a straight edge. Hope this helps.

I wish I could have figured out how to articulate the solution as well as you! Good show! :thumbup: <wave> Full disclosure - - the challenge of my life has been to try to say something in ten words or less. I wish I had your gift.
This quilt technique is just so fun that I can't help comment whenever someone posts something! <wave>