Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Thread Basting My Quilt Sandwich for FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/thread-basting-my-quilt-sandwich-fmq-t91013.html)

quilt queen 03-28-2013 04:35 AM

I agree with everyone on the great tut..I viewed Sharon's tut but couldn't quite get it...but with your pictures and directions, I think I can do this, my days on the floor are long gone.. I thank you for the time and love of quilting you put into these pictures and discription...Many happy days quilting..

jacie 03-28-2013 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe (Post 2398596)
Update:

I went to Lowe's this weekend and got two 8 ft boards for about $20. Then went to Joann's a bought three yards of flannel for about $11 ( used coupon). I used your tutorial to complete basting on my quilt top and it worked wonderfully. I did use pins though. Wow! Such a huge difference! Thanks again for sharing this method that makes this task less odious.

I had scraps of flannel already ,so I used 2" wide strips to wind on my boards, worked very well...............

EdieClay 04-13-2013 10:56 AM

I used this method with the boards for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was easy and really worked. When I basted my quilt, it was secure enough that I have been hand quilting it in a wooden lap hoop. This is the first hand quilting I have done and am using the utility quilting stitch. It is probably the last time for me except for small projects! This is a great tutorial. Thanks for posting.

tuckyquilter 04-16-2013 10:18 PM

I have used this method as well. Works like a dream and will hold quilts nicely for months - if need be. Best method for home quilters.

Handiandi 04-21-2013 06:39 AM

I just had to thank you! I am new to quilting, and now a new member :) . I came across your wonderful instruction while googling for advise on free motion machine quilting. I have to say I am turning into a junky...lol!

MomD 04-11-2015 05:23 AM

Question

I am new to this so I hope I am doing it right. I am so pleased to have found this method and am currently trying it on a child's sample quilt in preparation for trying it on a queen size quilt which I intend to free motion quilt on my pfaff sewing machine. I hope it works! The question I have is why lay the back and top on top of each other, especially when working with large quilts. Would it not work to roll the backing up on a board and then roll the top? It seems to me that might be easier....

Jo Belmont 04-11-2015 07:28 AM

Beautiful tutorial. Thanks for your effort to put it together and sharing with us. So easy to understand with pic's along the way.

MFord 04-11-2015 01:54 PM

Can you go ahead and use the spray to baste while using the boards, or is it too messy? What about using glue to baste? My arthritis makes hand stitching difficult, and as for pins!! No way!!!

Lilrain 04-13-2015 10:20 AM

Beautiful quilt and a great tutorial. Thank you

MadQuilter 04-21-2017 10:52 AM

I've seen this method used with pool noodles. They are much lighter.